Let’s face it, no one is exempted from doing the laundry, with all of us needing to do it. We wouldn’t want to wear dirty and smelly clothes, after all. However, not all of us have the room or budget to afford the standard washing machine.
That’s where portable washing machines come along, providing the washed clothes without the high prices. But what else is there to learn about this handy invention? Read on as I show you what you need to know about a portable washing machine.
- 1 What You Need to Know About a Portable Washing Machine
- 1.1 1. How do portable washing machines work?
- 1.2 2. What are the pros and cons of a portable washing machine?
- 1.3 3. Who is the portable washing machine more suitable for?
- 1.4 4. How can I choose the best portable washing machine for me?
- 1.5 5. What tips can I follow to use a portable washing machine properly?
- 2 Wrapping It Up
What You Need to Know About a Portable Washing Machine
Learning about a portable washing machine isn’t just about knowing its fun facts. Here are some frequently asked questions and the important factors to consider before you invest in one:
1. How do portable washing machines work?
As the name suggests, portable washing machines are more compact versions of the necessary household appliance. They are smaller than the typical washing machine and are not hooked up to any tubing or plumbing, thus being able to move around easily. They can be stored for later use, or brought when moving homes or traveling (depending on the size).
These washing machines work depending on the type you invest in.
An automatic model would run on electricity, but without being hooked to the home’s plumbing system. Instead, it has a rubber inlet hose that attaches to your standard utility faucet (like kitchen faucets). The drain hose has an open end to empty water from the washer and into the sink.
The standard portable washing machine is designed to fit standard-sized closets for storage purposes. They are typically 3-feet tall with a 20-inch width and depth. Depending on the tub size, these machines weigh between 40 to 90 pounds!
There are also manual portable washing machines, mostly made for traveling. They are much smaller and don’t use electricity, but with pedals, you’ll use to spin the clothes. There’s also a sonic soak portable washing machine, which utilizes ultrasonic technology and built to save energy and water, lasting longer and made for all kinds of clothes.
With all that said, I’ll be focusing more on the first type of washing machine.
2. What are the pros and cons of a portable washing machine?
When you have your own portable washer, you’re able to benefit from it because:
- You have your own machine that no one else uses. No need to fight over a machine or wait for one to open up. It will only be YOUR clothes in the machine rather than anyone else’s delicates!
- The overall cost of running portable washing machines is far less compared to using coin laundromats.
- There aren’t any lines or plumbing to deal with, so you can move the machine if needed.
- No problems with space if you live in a small home, simply store it in the closet after use.
However, a portable washing machine may have its downfalls, such as:
- Depending on the size, the machine may not be able to take bigger laundry loads in large households.
- Some apartments may not allow you to bring your own washer.
- It still takes up some space in small apartments, and such machines aren’t always easy to find, depending on where you’re from.
- You’ll need to have access to water and drainage systems to use the portable washing machine properly. This may be difficult for homeowners who only have a kitchen sink or one small bathroom to use for their machines!
While there are some drawbacks, it doesn’t apply to everyone and most can be worked around. As long as you store and place it strategically and use it properly, there’s no worry about washing your clothes anymore.
3. Who is the portable washing machine more suitable for?
Given the pros and cons, should you invest in a portable washing machine? That depends on your lifestyle and preference.
A portable washing machine is ideal for homeowners who have no space in their apartment buildings or small home. Also, if you have no laundry shop within the area, then this is a must-have. But these washing machines are also a great option even if you do have a communal laundry area, as you don’t need to wait for a free machine or carry a bag of quarters and risk someone else taking your wet laundry!
Besides this, portable washing machines are suitable for those living in tiny houses, dorm rooms, RV and boating communities, or those who move homes a lot.
However, if you have no problem with space, budget, and need something more permanent without worrying about storage and handling the machine, then a standard washing machine is more suitable for you.
4. How can I choose the best portable washing machine for me?
Selecting the right portable washing machine is crucial to ensure that your clothes are thoroughly washed. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a portable washing machine:
- Look into the tub capacity of your chosen washing machine, which can range from 1-3 cubic feet. Washers with 1.5-cubic-foot tubs can hold up to 15 large shirts in a load. If you plan on washing more than that (such as a full-sized comforter), then opt for a 2.6-cubic-foot tub.
- Washing machines would have different preprogrammed cycles for various washing types, from quick, delicate, or heavy-duty. There is a white and/or permanent press cycle, but only if your machine has a hot water temp setting, so look into what cycles you use and need most.
- Consider the water levels, as machines that have over two options make it easier for clothes to clean. It will also make your washing machine save on water and energy, especially when you just need to wash one pair of pants.
- The size you can allocate for the washing machine is important as well. While it also depends on the tub and loads you usually put, you should also make measurements in your home. Where do you plan on washing and storing the machine? It should be able to fit and with the ability to carry it easily with handles and lighter weight.
- Your washing machine’s energy consumption is also crucial, as you want to save on energy bills, too! Look for an ENERGY STAR certification to ensure that your machine utilizes energy well.
5. What tips can I follow to use a portable washing machine properly?
Now that you know everything important about the portable washing machine, how can you use one properly? Here are some helpful tips to follow:
- Gather all your laundry, separating it by colors and fabric. Remember, these machines hold smaller loads of laundry so make sure to group clothes without it overloading the machine.
- Presoak items that need special treatment, using a stain remover to help remove stains and maintain its color and fabric quality.
- Connect your washing machine to the faucet based on the manufacturer’s instructions. Usually, you just need to connect the inlet hose to the sink tap, then fill the machine with water. Connect the outflow hose to the drainage, you may need a wrench to tighten those hoses up.
- While connecting your hoses to the tap, you may need to test it out first, as some may need you to remove the sink’s aerator or install adapters if the nozzle doesn’t fit.
- Leave your water on and place the first load of your laundry, using either hot or cold water based on your preference.
- Switch your machine on and add your favorite detergent. Select the cycle you want and allow it to wash, listening until it’s done washing.
- Disconnect the machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions and store.
For more information and a visual perspective on using a portable washing machine, refer to this helpful video:
Wrapping It Up
Having a portable washing machine is beneficial and offers its perks, but it might not be for everyone! With that said, you can experience its advantages only if you choose the right one, so make sure you look into getting a suitable device for the household.
Hopefully, you learned about what you need to know about a portable washing machine well with my article. If you feel like this is a must-have for your home, then make the right investment now.
If you have any questions or want to share your experiences with the portable washing machine, share it in the comments section below. All your thoughts are much appreciated.