If you’re looking for a great way to improve your fitness and health goals, then you may want to consider using an exercise bike! These are exercise machines that mimic the natural movement of real bikes, with extra benefits and convenience.
But why go for an exercise bike over cycling outside or other forms of cardio?
Read on as I show you the benefits of using an exercise bike, as well as some extra tips to have successful workouts with it.
- 1 The Eight Benefits of Using an Exercise Bike
- 2 Extra Tips to Use Your Exercise Bike
- 3 Wrapping It Up
The Eight Benefits of Using an Exercise Bike
You’ll be surprised by the amazing benefits of using a stationary bike can give you! Here are the top eight you can reap when doing a consistent exercise routine:
1. Achieve Cardio Fitness
Nothing can beat cycling when you want to improve your cardio fitness. Intense cycling sessions can get your heart pumping in a controlled environment, making it suitable for interval training.
This means that you can alternate between high and low intensity, receiving the benefits of high-intensity interval training. With optimum cardio fitness, you can help your overall health because it:
- Improves your memory and brain functions
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves your sleep
- Helps maintain good blood sugar levels
- Prevents illnesses, especially heart diseases
2. Improve Your Strength
Just because indoor cycling is more of cardio doesn’t mean you don’t work on your muscles and strength! All exercise bikes provide resistance control, so you can simulate the work of climbing or springing. You can choose the incline level you want and for how long to challenge yourself on the steep levels.
With higher incline levels during high-intensity intervals, you can build strength, particularly in the calves and thighs. Besides this, you can also give your core a great workout, as it stabilizes your body and balance.
3. Burn Calories For Weight Loss
This is the ultimate benefit many people look for when searching for exercises to do! Because exercise bikes give great cardio and strength workout, it can help give you more calorie burn. The best weight loss workouts involve burning calories while building muscle tone, so you burn calories during and after working out.
A 40-minute HIIT on an exercise bike can burn as many as 600 calories, which helps you lose more weight while maintaining a good body.
4. It’s a Low-Impact Exercise
Whether you’re cycling indoors or outdoors, it’s a good exercise for those who need a low-impact option. It protects your joints if you suffer from joint conditions or have an. injury. Besides this, you can adapt to the various workouts to how much the joints can handle.
For instance, standing bike exercise can add more bodyweight to your workout, adding more pressure to the joints. However, this helps strengthen your muscles further. There is also spinning, which builds strength and stability without the heavy impact of runs.
5. Improve Joint Mobility
As mentioned, exercise bikes are a low-impact exercise, which is why it’s optimum for those concerned about joint health. This is because it helps maintain the mobility of your ankles, knees, and hip joints.
With low resistance and easy cycling, it can maintain your joint mobility, reducing inflammation. However, as you increase pedal resistance while maintaining the correct form, you can improve the muscle strength around your joints, improving joints stabilities to prevent injuries.
Just make sure that you consult your doctor before using an exercise bike, especially if you are recovering from an injury or have an existing condition.
6. It’s Safe and Simple
An exercise bike is a safe way to get the health advantages of cycling without the scary risks. You won’t need to worry about the traffic, as well as any falls or accidents compared to cycling outdoors.
You are safe indoors, in a controlled environment, without risking your safety in the traffic, uneven terrain, or bad weather. There are even indoor cycling classes you can join to ensure safety as you learn proper form and technique.
Other than its safety, it’s also very convenient, as you are just indoors and not worry about the bad weather. You can do it anytime without considering the uncontrollable environmental variables, working around YOUR schedule.
Plus, if you have one at home, you can workout whenever you want and set it up in areas where you can watch TV, read a book, or spend time with family! No need to head to the gym, work on your bike maintenance, or even wear fancy clothes.
Besides this, cycling is such a simple exercise. You do have to practice your form and technique, but it isn’t complicated. Anyone can master and maintain the exercise! And because you’re on a stationary bike, you don’t need to know how to ride a “real” bike, as the exercise bike is stable and can balance you well.
7. It’s Pretty Affordable
You can start using an exercise bike without spending a ton of money. While it may cost a bit at first, it will pay off in the long run with its excellent health benefits and convenience.
It saves you more compared to the treadmill and other weight training equipment. Or, you can opt to go for spinning classes or join an affordable gym for its bikes and other workouts!
8. Help Your Mood and Stress Levels
I know how we all feel the runner’s high, or the way our energy and mood levels shift for the better. Indoor cycling can provide a similar adrenaline rush, releasing the happy mood-inducing neurotransmitters, which are known as endorphins.
These endorphins can create feelings of euphoria, lowering stress levels while enhancing your body’s immune system. Plus, you feel more fulfilled and productive after a good workout, which also contributes to how much more positive you feel.
Extra Tips to Use Your Exercise Bike
Now that you know the wonders of using an exercise bike, how can you use it properly? Here are tips to get the most of your bike:
- If you are just a beginner about to build fitness, make sure you start slowly. Add more time and intensity gradually, avoid overdoing, and shocking your body, which leaves to a higher risk of pain and injury.
- Start with a 30-minute workout, progressing from there and adding 1-minute per workout as you build your strength and stamina.
- It’s best to keep up a 30-minute workout, with a mix of medium and high-intensity speeds. As mentioned, there are different workout varieties meant for your fitness goals.
- When exercising, portion your body properly, using the right form. It’s best to refer to helpful videos and/or certified instructors if you aren’t sure of how to use the exercise bike.
- Give your body time for it to recover, especially after feeling a workout burn from exercising. Avoid overexerting yourself, as this can increase the risk of injury.
- Besides these tips, make sure that you invest in the right exercise bike made for your comfort and goals.
- Upright bikes are great for cardio and strengthening core and leg muscles. This is most similar to the regular bicycle, though it may be uncomfortable for long workouts.
- Recumbent bike is best for comfort, fully supporting your upper body for less fatigue. This is great for those who have limited mobility or any joint issues. Those starting with exercise will also benefit from this bike.
- Dual-action bikes aren’t like a regular bicycle, having handlebars moving back and fort, targeting the upper body muscles. This allows you to work your upper and lower body.
- There are also other different exercise bike types to choose from, such as the indoor cycle bike and fan/air bike.
Do you want to learn more about using an exercise bike for ultimate fitness? Check out this informative video:
Wrapping It Up
Using an exercise bike has its numerous advantages, giving your mind and body the optimum health it needs. From better mood to the convenience of exercising, you can burn a ton of calories while toning your body! Just make sure you use your exercise bike correctly, and you can start reaping its benefits instantly.
I hope that these ten benefits of using an exercise bike encouraged you to start using one! So try investing in a new exercise bike and start reaching your fitness goals. Do you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences using an exercise bike? Share it in the comments section below, I appreciate all your thoughts!