According to studies, weighted blankets help kids with certain conditions such as autism, insomnia, and ADHD sleep well during nap time. In fact, a growing number of parents also agree with these studies.
The best weighted blankets for kids typically weigh more than the normal blankets. Tiny glass beads or plastic poly pellets sewn into pockets give these blankets the heft that applies pressure throughout the body. The result is a long, uninterrupted snagging time.
In this guide are suggestions and tips on the best weighted blanket for kids currently available. I have also included my top pick out of eight weighted blankets. These reviews are based on actual customer experience, relentless research, and rational product analysis.
- 1 Things to Consider Before Buying Best Weighted Blanket for Kids
- 2 8 Best Weighted Blanket for Kids Reviews 2020
- 2.1 1. Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket & Removable Cover – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. YnM Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best Cooling Weighted Blanket
- 2.3 3. ZonLi Small Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for All Year Usage
- 2.4 4. LUNA Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Teens
- 2.5 5. Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Nano-Ceramic Beads
- 2.6 6. Amy Garden All-Seasons Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Allergies
- 2.7 7. Hypnoser Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Toddlers
- 2.8 8. CMFRT Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Queen-Sized Mattresses
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Things to Consider Before Buying Best Weighted Blanket for Kids
1. Your Weight vs the Blanket Weight
The difference between weighted blankets and ordinary ones is the extra weight added into the layered structure. Because of the weight, they are typically heavier than the normal blankets. Therefore, you have to consider the additional weight before you make the purchase.
It is what makes the product effective or otherwise. However, this weight is usually relative to your own body weight, or the individual you are buying the blanket for. That is why there are blankets for adults and kids.
Usually, the rule of thumbs is that you buy a weighted blanket that is no more than 10% of the kid’s body weight. Also, keep in mind that the kid will be gaining weight with time, so you might want to keep this in mind.
2. Preferred Blanket Size/Mattress size
For as long as I have known kids, each of them has their sleep preferences. While mine will enjoy a blanket that wraps around them for maximum comfort, yours may like it when minimally covered.
It is for this reason that blankets are available in a range of sizes from queen sized blankets to twin bed sizes. However, weighted blankets usually tie weight to the size. The lighter, the shorter and narrower the blanket is and vice versa.
Therefore, you might be forced to come to a compromise as you consider an appropriate size. The good thing is that all sizes are always listed including their weights. In this way, it becomes quiet easy to settle on an appropriate option.
3. Blanket Construction
As you will come to realize in the next sections, no two blankets are made the same. In as much as the manufacturers try to impart the same functionality, structure-wise, they are always different.
Most of the blankets get their weights from filling glass, plastic, sand, and even Nano ceramics. No matter the material, it is important to have an even weight distribution and no noise emission from the beads.
The integrity of the stitches is what keeps the beads from spilling randomly onto your bedding while asleep. Apart from the beads, cushioning layers from the beads are a must in any weighted blanket that you buy. These include cotton, polyester, chenille, or fleece.
Having a cover or a duvet is an added advantage. Some blankets also have the option of buying the covers separately. While it is always impossible to avoid synthetic materials such as polyester, look for one with more natural fibers. These are warmer and more breathable than synthetics.
4. Is the Kid a Cold or Warm Sleeper?
This feature is dependent on the material from which the blanket is made from. Just like adults, kids have their ideal conditions in which they fall asleep. Most categories of people are either cold or warm sleepers due to body temperature regulation and mattress configuration.
Weighted blankets with a larger composition of natural fibers such as cotton, viscose, or bamboo are warmer and cooler than those with synthetic fibers. Since these natural fibers are also highly absorbent and retain warmth impressively, they are great for all year sleeping needs.
8 Best Weighted Blanket for Kids Reviews 2020
1. Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket & Removable Cover – Best Overall
If your little kid is feeling anxious of late and can’t get enough snooze time, then the Quility Premium weighted blanket is one of the best options you may consider. This blanket is weighted to mimic the sensation of being hugged thanks to millions of micro glass beads.
Available in upto seven different colors and weight options of between 5 and 25 color options, it is suitable for a wide array of body types and ages. The key to its exemplary performance is down to its innovative 7-layer construction for comfort.
An outer layer made of 100% cotton ensures breathability and luxurious comfort. Next up, the cotton layer has a padded non-glue polyester lining followed by another 2 layers of polyester. It is these 2 layers that have sewn pockets filled with millions of premium micro glass beads.
Such a unique structure composition generates an optimal temperature control while also making sure beads do not leak over time. A plushy, zipped, removableduvet cover is availed for every Quility weighted blanket that you opt for.
A guideline for choosing the right weighted blanket size is also provided. In this way, your child wouldn’t end up with an oversized blanket, or an ineffective one. Go for a product that weighs between 10 and 12% of the kid’sbody weight.
- Useful sizing chart available for convenience.
- Stays comfortable at any place of usage, not only for sleeping.
- Innovative 7-layer structure.
- Padded bead pockets for comfort around the body.
- Available in different sizes for both kids and adults.
- Glass beads sewn into leak proof pockets.
- Removable, machine washable duvet cover available.
- Evenly distributed weight.
- Super soft, irritant free 100% cotton outer layer.
- Weights do move about in some of the blankets.
- Can only be dry cleaned, and on its own.
- Reported uneven sewing on some of the blankets.
2. YnM Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best Cooling Weighted Blanket
Lots of weighted blankets for kids out there are made from fuzzy fleece/microfiber fabric that is meant to make them as cozy as possible. However, this design causes them to trap heat, therefore, making you likely to overheat during summer nights.
The YnM weighted blankets have a work-around this design flow by introducing a highly breathable, moisture wicking premium cotton outer layer. This outer layer is what is responsible for the exemplary temperature control and cooling effect of this weighted blanket.
Along the sides of the blanket are a total of 8 loops, which ensure that the weighted blanket stays put as your little one sleeps. A design which utilizes breathable fabrics underneath the outer cotton maximizes on comfort levels. The layer surrounds the weighted beads.
This weighted blanket gets its properties from a glass beads technology. These beads are odorless, non-toxic, and hypo-allergenic. They are safe even for kids with sensitive skins. Inner pockets consist of small compartments to evenly disperse the weight from the glass beads.
Lastly, all the layers are sewn together in fine stitches to prevent weight shifting and durability of the whole blanket. By making the beads compact, they emit no noise since they cannot shift about. When choosing an appropriate one, remember the 10% body weight rule and match the size to the bed.
- Improved temperature control.
- No noise from glass beads.
- Evenly distributed, non-toxic glass beads.
- Long lasting seams.
- Highly breathable.
- Keeps cool throughout the night.
- Good distribution of weight.
- Mimics home care routine while travelling.
- No bulging out of beads.
- Appropriate for hot sleepers.
- Limited range of colors.
- Suspect durability of stitches.
- Poor quality control at times.
3. ZonLi Small Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for All Year Usage
The ZonLi Small weighted is not your average weighted blanket for kids. This product is available in a wide range of weights, making them a great option for your whole family in addition to their excellent sleep inducing properties.
Weights start from 5 pounds, recommended for children weighing between 40 and 60 pounds. Other weight options are also available for teens and adults alike. These include weights from 7, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22, 25, and 30 pounds.
Based on your family weight distribution, there is always an option for everyone. Along with the weights, the sizes differ too, meaning you should consider the bed size, together with your weight as you shop around for one.
The design is such that the blanket remains usable throughout the four seasons. Made from cotton fibers, breathability, moisture wicking, and gentleness properties make the blanket adaptable to different weather conditions.
For kids, the 5 pounds of glass beads are evenly distributed over the body, with no points of pressure. Curiously, cotton, bamboo, and minky duvets are sold separately which allows you to customize the look of the blanket. However, it also introduces an extra cost that drives up the price.
- Customizable with befitting duvets color and patterns.
- Wide weight range for different age groups.
- Great value for price.
- Machine washable in the gentle cycle.
- Doesn’t stretch to the sides of the bed.
- Sizing chart available for reference.
- Minimizes twitching in those recovering from brain injuries.
- Relaxing and calming even when used on the couch.
- Natural fiber fabrics are soft textured for a comfy feel.
- Prone to oversizing.
- Some products leak the bead pellets.
- Quite costly.
4. LUNA Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Teens
Teens are still kids, right? The Luna Weighted Blankets are made for older kids since it comes in two options, a 15 and 20-pound option. Such weights can only be sustained by heavier children. Do not use it if the kid weighs less than 150 Pounds as the blanket would suffocate them.
Deep sleep stimulation is a scientifically proven means of relaxing sleep deprived individuals into slumber. However, get it from me, this technique is only effective if the applied weight/hugging sensation is right. Otherwise, you wouldn’t get any sleep at all.
The outer shell of this blanket features a 400 thread count cotton fabric. It makes the outer layer fuller for optimum breathability. Note that it may get a little warmer when you are fully covered, so set the AC at couple of degrees colder than usual so that you stay snug all night.
The 100% organic cotton sewing creates air channels to circulate cool air throughout the blanket for a comfortable sleeping environment. Medical-grade glass beads stay within their pouches and neither shifts about nor sink towards one corner of the patch.
Another great feature is the incorporation of 8 cover ties for securely fastening the blanket onto duvets of your choice. Resultantly, the beads generate no noise as there is limited movements.
- Weighty enough for older kids and teens.
- Relatively cheap.
- Great for hot sleepers, provided AC is turned down.
- Made from environment friendly cotton fibers.
- Promotes fast sleeping.
- Holds up well even when repeatedly used.
- Fits great onto beds with no overhangs.
- Non-toxic beads.
- Changing positions under the weight is difficult.
- Heats up fast.
- Difficult to handle for people with arthritis.
5. Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Nano-Ceramic Beads
With its unique Nano-ceramic beads, the Degree of Comfort of a weighted blanket is a great choice for those with sensory issues. Such causes often make you to get less amounts of deep sleep, thus wreaking havocto your daily routines.
Gradually, you become unhappy, irritable, and unhealthy in extreme events. This weighted blanket thus provides the recommended deep pressure stimulation that brings about the calming effect. The effectiveness is down to the unique pellets filled into sewn pockets.
These beads are infused through a forging process, then filled into the already sewn pockets. Because the beads have a seamless blend with one another, the weight distribution becomes evenly spread out. Consequently, you have longer lasting, comfortable, and dense beads filling.
While most of the weighted blankets I have come across have between 4 and 8 anchor points, this option has 10. This is a great feature since anchor points are responsible for eliminating bunching on one side of the blanket weight at night, especially those who move a lot while asleep.
Another good feature about this product is that the package you buy also has 2 duvets included. I think this gives you great bang for your hard earned buck. These two can be used interchangeably, or alternatively when you wash either.
- Excellent heat whisking properties.
- Numerous anchor points for locking the blanket in place for those who sleep a lot.
- High quality two duvets part of the package.
- Durable and fine beads.
- Less beads fill to weight ratio.
- One of the duvets is cozy, while the other one keeps you cool.
- Durable fiber stitching.
- A one-year money buyback guarantee is provided.
- Beads develop a tendency of bunching/clamping up.
- Pellets still shift position is certain products.
- Swapping the duvets is hectic.
6. Amy Garden All-Seasons Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Allergies
When you are on a tight budget, it doesn’t mean your kid can’t still get to experience the deep pressure stimulation effects of a weighted blanket. The Amy Garden Weighted blanket for kids is a low cost, yet all-season performance blanket for parents with a low budget.
An articulate 7-layer construction means the blanket is adaptive to the ever changing sleeping temperature conditions. The middle layer of beads is surrounded by 3 layers on either side, in a design structure to ensure beads stay in place as well as user comfort.
The top outer layer is 100% cotton, utilizing natural cottons ability to stay soft to touch, breathable, and having the ability to control its temperature. Next is a lightweight material of high density. It plays the role of holding the filling in place, instead of spilling out. Moreover, the layer is highly breathable.
Thirdly, 2 layers of soft polyester surrounds the filling of beads. As a synthetic fiber, polyester is tear resistant and lasts for quite a long time, thus eliminating potential leaks, unless in the event of severe impacts.
Lastly, in the middle is the premium glass beads. These are durable, quite, odorless, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic. The sequence is repeated for the next 3 layers after the beads. As a result of this arrangement, a blanket that keeps you warm, absorbs sweat, a kid breathes freely in, and has antibiosis properties is created.
- Highly sweat absorbent for comfy skin.
- Very quiet beads.
- Stays cool and cozy, depending on prevailing conditions.
- Cotton layer has extra padding for optimum comfort.
- Hypo-allergenic properties.
- Rare glass beads leakage.
- Double stitching on seams for longevity.
- Pockets made small and many for more beds stability.
- Prone to glass dust without duvet.
- Less durability.
7. Hypnoser Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Toddlers
Just like the name suggests, the Hypnoser weighted blanket for kids is an ideal way of prompting kids to sleep. It’s more of hypnotizing the kids to slumber land in case anxiety or autism has been keeping them awake of late.
At 3 pounds, this particular optionis designed to be used by toddlers and kids between 30 and 60 pounds of weight. Note that at no time should you use it for kids below the age of 3 since they are unable to cope up withincreased weight. Also, do not use it to cover the face or head.
In order to even out the weight distribution, the Hypnoser features small, square, diamond pockets measuring 4”x4”. This size is perfect for evenly distributing the weight of the glass beads over your kid’s body. Plus, compacting the beads reduces noise generation.
A weighted blanket is one item that needs strict care routines. The Hypnoser is machine washable, but only on the gentle cycle with cold water. Double linings and stitches are able to withstand the cycles. Afterward, hang the blanket to dry.
While duvets are available to lessen your cleaning work, they are sold separately and not as part of the package. I think it would have been a big plus if these could have been included in the package, more so if you consider the relatively high price.
- Quite, sleeping bag-like movements.
- Stays in place while in use.
- Not too weighty for washing machines.
- Efficient small-sized pockets.
- Available in 4, and 5 pound options.
- Excellent sweat wicking ability.
- Easily care routine as it dries when hanged.
- Beads clump and require shaking from time to time to redistribute.
- Holes have been found on some packages.
- Weight might too much for some washing machines.
8. CMFRT Weighted Blanket for Kids – Best for Queen-Sized Mattresses
The CMFRT weighted blanket utilizes the power of cotton fibers to remain comfortable all year round. When the temperatures rise, cotton absorbs the sweat generated by your body, aiding your sleep. On the other hand, when it gets cold, the fabrics stay warm and cozy.
Measuring about 41” x 56” and weighing 7 pounds, this weighted blanket is designed with kids in mind. For lighter kids, there is a 5-pound alternative. The one-piece design is a perfect fit for kids or teens who weigh about 60 pounds.
Reduced bead pockets and uniform stitching minimizes the probability of the beads sliding annoyingly in your sleep. A clima-cool cotton outer fabric layer stays cool and warm all through summer and winter respectively.
One thing you might not love about this weighted blanket is that it does not include a duvet in the package like some of the products in this buying guide. On the bright side, it is machine washable and can be tumbled dry or hanged to air-dry.
- Machine washable.
- Usable for other applications like watching TV, playing video games.
- Not only for people with sleeping disorders.
- High quality, durable construction.
- Covers entire bed for kids.
- Colorful options for matching the kid’s room decor.
- Uneven filling at times.
- Suspect durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it a must that my kid has a certain condition to enjoy the benefits of a weighted blanket?
A: While it is true that the inventors of weighted blankets had intended for them to be used by physicians for the provision of deep pressure stimulation, application doesn’t stop there. Apart from insomniac, autistic, hyperactivity, PTSD, among others, a normal you can still enjoy a long time with these.
You can also cover yourself with one as you study, watch TV, or play video games. Weighted blankets are extremely snuggly while on the couch.
Q: Are Weighted Blankets usable alongside other bedding?
A: Yes. You don’t have to get rid of your kid’s usual bedding in order to make room for the new blanket you are about to buy. Simply add a duvet or quilt on top of the blanket and you are good to go, more so when it’s cool.
Q: Can I get a super king sized weighted Blanket?
A: Not easily. Kids’ weighted blankets are somewhere between single and double duvets sizes. These are the appropriate sizes for little ones since the role of the weighted blanket is to cover just the body.
If you choose one that overhangs over the bed frame, then it would definitely slip over to the floor under its own weight.
Q: Do weighted blankets Actually work?
A: Yes. Countless studies and results indicate that these magic blankets do soothe kids having difficulty sleeping. Also, these blankets extend sleeping hours. However, it is conventional wisdom to seek a doctor first before prescribing a weighted blanket to your kid.
There you have it, a detailed buying guide for the best weighted blanket for kids. A snugging wrap, gentle pressure exertion provides one of the greatest pleasures at the end of a hard long day. You aren’t alone in such desires.
Your kid deserves the best of whatever you have got, since at this stage of development, they need all the sleep they can get. Since we spend nearly a third or our lives between soft cozy sheets, then why don’t you get the best?
So, I believe I have made it a little easier for you than before. I have compiled these reviews and buying guide after an extensive research and sourcing for expert opinion to bring you an unbiased view into some of the best weighted blankets we have around.
In my opinion, I think the Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket for kids is the best weighted blanker for kids. It is designed for a single sized bed and filled with premium hypoallergenic glass beads.
The 7-layered structure offers exceptional temperature control throughout the year regardless of whether it is hot or cold. Better yet, the package includes a deluxe soft to touch minky duvet to reduce your cleaning frequencies. The duvet cover can simply be unzipped out of place. String fattener loops keeps all the layers together for convenience. In addition to an excellent customer opinion, I think this product is the best for your kid.