Most homeowners admit that it is quite challenging to effectively clean their shag carpets. You cannot just use any vacuum to clean your carpet since a too powerful vacuum can damage your carpet fibers when it bogs down to it. You, therefore, need the best vacuum for shag carpet that will make your job of cleaning your carpet easy.
- 1 How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet
- 2 8 Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet Reviews 2019
- 2.1 1. Miele Complete C3 Vacuum for Soft Carpet – Best for Deep-Pile Carpets
- 2.2 Pro
- 2.3 Cons
- 2.4 2. ZeroG F3D Floating Vacuum Deluxe System by AmVac – Best Portable Option
- 2.5 Pros
- 2.6 Cons
- 2.7 3. Shark APEX Upright Vacuum – Best Quiet Vacuum
- 2.8 Pros
- 2.9 Cons
- 2.10 4. Prolux 2019 iFORCE Light Weight HEPA Bagless Canister Vacuum – Best Lightweight Option
- 2.11 Pros
- 2.12 Cons
- 2.13 5. Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner – Best for People with Allergies
- 2.14 Pros
- 2.15 Cons
- 2.16 6. Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Bagged Upright Vacuum – Best for Mohawk Carpets
- 2.17 Pros
- 2.18 Cons
- 2.19 7. Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner – Best Budget Option
- 2.20 Pros
- 2.21 Cons
- 2.22 8. Panasonic Vacuum Cleaner MC-UG471 12-Amp Motor Bagged Upright – Best Suction Power
- 2.23 Pros
- 2.24 Cons
- 3 FAQ About Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet
- 4 Conclusion
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet
When it comes to buying the best vacuum cleaner for shag carpet, you need to look at some important features. Here are some of the most important features to look for in a vacuum cleaner for shag carpets.
1. Shape and Size
Vacuum cleaners exist in a variety of shapes and sizes. We have the standard upright vacuums that are the most popular. There is also the canister style and lastly the modern handheld vacuums that are made with bagless and cordless technology. Each of these vacuums has its own benefits. The best one for you will depend on your requirements.
The upright classic vacuum is the best because it is easy to maneuver and can sweep a large floor and carpet area. They have ergonomic shapes and have swift cleaning capabilities due to their larger heads. They come in both corded and cordless types. Some also have bags while others don’t.
When shopping for a vacuum, you should go for one with size and shape that will suit you. If you want a vacuum cleaner that is capable of cleaning large carpets and even the whole house, then an upright vacuum is ideal. On the other hand, if you need a vacuum that is lightweight and suitable for a few small jobs, then a good choice would be a handheld cordless one.
When shopping for a vacuum for your shag carpet, you will have to decide whether you should go for a vacuum that has a bag or one that is bagless. Vacuums that use bags have been the standard for a long time. They have a bag that gets filled with all the dirt that you vacuum. Once the bag gets full, you will need to replace it. Although the bags aren’t that expensive, you have to ensure that you don’t forget to buy them.
However, if you don’t want to worry about replacing your vacuum’s bag, then you can go for a bagless one. These types of vacuums have a specific section where all the debris and dust are stored. After every use, you can empty all the dirt that you have sucked up.
These dirt storage units are transparent so you can see when it’s time to empty it. If you are allergic to dust, then a bagged vacuum will be the best option since you will not have to come into any contact with dust.
3. Brush Functionality
Every vacuum has some sort of brush or roller. Some even have both. They are designed to dislodge particles and pet hair from the carpet fibers. They are very important elements in a vacuum and make a big difference in the performance of a vacuum.
The best type of vacuum is one that has its brush fully motorized so that the brush is actively brushing while you are vacuuming. The vacuum should also have multiple heights selections that you can select through.
4. Suction Power
This is also an important feature that you need to think about when buying a new vacuum. You need a vacuum with a strong suction so that it can do a good job in sucking up all the dirt and debris from your shag carpet. A vacuum with a weak suction power will not effectively draw out all the dirt particles from your carpet fibers.
Most vacuum cleaners usually come with additional attachments that you can use for specific cleaning jobs. However, some vacuum models don’t have these attachments hence you will need to buy them separately. You should, therefore, consider this before making your purchase.
8 Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet Reviews 2019
1. Miele Complete C3 Vacuum for Soft Carpet – Best for Deep-Pile Carpets
If you are looking for the best all-round vacuum for shag carpet, then the Miele C3 Soft Carpet Vacuum is the best option. Although it is designed for shag carpets, the Miele C3 Soft Vacuum is also capable of handling all the jobs in your houses such as cleaning vinyl floors and wood floors.
What makes the Miele C3 Soft Vacuum stand out from its competitors is its powered electrobrush which is fully powered to handle cleaning through the thickest carpet fibers. It also features a height adjustable system to allow you to get deep into your carpet.
The Miele C3 Soft vacuum is still perfect for cleaning smooth surfaces, be it your kitchen floor or your bathroom floor. This is because of parquet twister that facilitates easy maneuver on such smooth surfaces. It also comes fitted with a HEPA filter to filter out any dust particles. You don’t have to worry about allergies as a result of dust particles.
Its five-stage adjustable brush has been expertly designed in Germany and is capable of dealing with any depth of shag that you might have. The Miele C3 Vacuum is, therefore, the best all-round vacuum that is suitable for deep pile carpets. It’s comfortable handle and powerful brush will make you feel like you have spent your money well.
- Capable of dealing with any shag depth due to its highly adjustable five-stage brush.
- Delivers excellent results.
- Has an operating radius of 36 feet to facilitate easy maneuvering.
- Comes with inbuilt tool storage.
- Provides exceptionally smooth cleaning due to its Parquet Twister.
- High dust retention capacity.
- Prevents any dust or dirt from escaping back into the air.
- Substantially better engineered as compared to other vacuums.
- Quite expensive.
- Does not have automatic power adjustments functionality.
2. ZeroG F3D Floating Vacuum Deluxe System by AmVac – Best Portable Option
A good vacuum capable of efficiently handling shag carpets should perfectly combine power and portability. The ZeroG Vacuum combines these to make it the ultimate vacuum equipment for your carpets. It is not only light on the hand but also light on your wallet, given the advanced features that it is designed with.
The ZeroG has dirt extraction capabilities that are unrivaled. This is due to its twin motor system that effectively picks dirt from the deepest pile in the carpets. It can also be used to extract fine dust from hard floors. What’s more, it is well engineered and constructed to deliver unparalleled performance.
It is a floating vacuum system that will give you an effortless vacuuming experience. You can also easily maneuver it around furniture since it has excellent control. Its powerful Edge lift brush is capable of picking up even the tiniest of dirt particles from your carpet. You can even take the entire unit up the stairs to clean it. It features a telescopic wand that automatically adjusts to your height
- It is a compact vacuuming unit that is easy to store.
- It’s super quiet.
- Can also be used to vacuum furniture.
- Has no wheels since it floats which means that it won’t mar your hardwood floors.
- Very light and can be moved around with a lot of ease.
- Has a very powerful suction.
- Has very well thought out engineering.
- Crush-proof airflow hose.
- Has a long cord that is not retractable.
3. Shark APEX Upright Vacuum – Best Quiet Vacuum
The Shark Apex DuoCleangives an attractive balance of technology and cost and is one of the best vacuums for shag carpets. It is a pet-friendly vacuum that works well on several types of surfaces like carpet, hardwood, and upholstery. With this vacuum, cleaning up after your furry friend will be very easy.
Shark Apex DuoCleanoperates with a soft pitch so that you can clean your carpet and floor without scaring your baby or pet. A lot of effort has been put to its noise reduction. It also features an Anti-Allergen Seal Technology that keeps it from releasing particles back into the air when you are cleaning or even afterward. The Shark Apex DuoClean vacuum will, therefore, help you to keep your home environment healthy.
Its DuoClean technology enables you to clean multiple surfaces. It has a dual-brushroll system that features a bristle brush and a soft brushroll. If you want to clean thicker carpet areas, then you would use the bristle brush. The soft brushroll can be used on soft surfaces to give your tiled floor a more polished look.
Although the Shark Apex DuoClean is an upright vacuum, you can detach its canister so you can have a wider reach and easy mobility. You won’t have to move your furniture when maneuvering your vacuum around the house. You can also use your Shark Apex vacuum on your stairs without doing lots of heavy lifting.
- Can give your floors a polished look.
- Its Zero-M technology prevents hair from getting wrapped on its brushroll.
- Features a powered lift-away enables you to expand your reach by removing its canister.
- Superior suction on all types of floor surfaces.
- Its soft roller draws dirt into the path of suction for efficient cleaning.
- Has controls on its handle for optimized cleaning.
- Comes with several useful accessories like storage bag and an anti-allergen brush.
- Has a powerful headlight for under-furniture cleaning.
- It is difficult to clean under low-slung surfaces.
- Has a relatively small cleaning path that is only 10-inch wide.
4. Prolux 2019 iFORCE Light Weight HEPA Bagless Canister Vacuum – Best Lightweight Option
The ProluxiForce Canister Vacuum is one of the best vacuums for shag carpets and comes with several useful features. It only weighs 10 pounds so that you can easily move it around your house as you clean your carpet and floor. Storage is also very easy. Cleaning smaller and narrower spaces will be easier due to its compact size.
It features a unique deep-cleaning nozzle that has been designed to handle both soft and hard floors. Having such a nozzle gives you the versatility that you need since you are not confined to only cleaning one type of surface. Instead, you can get the same excellent results when you clean whatever surface you wish to clean.
The ProluxiForce Canister Vacuum also features a Mini Head that you can use to clean deep spots that are on your carpet or floor. It is designed with a HEPA-filter that filters out even the smallest dust particles and prevents them from getting released into the air. This makes the ProluxiForce Canister Vacuum be good for you if you have allergies.
- Its bag less design will save you a lot of money.
- The canister is designed with smooth casters to facilitate easy mobility.
- Comes with headlights so that you can vacuum dark places such as between and under your furniture.
- Picks up pet hair perfectly.
- Its HEPA filtration system ensures that your air and motor stays clean.
- Very low center of gravity so that it stays firmly planted in an upright position while in use.
- Perfect for carpet cleaning and floor cleaning.
- Super quiet.
- Its crevice tool is quite puny.
- The power nozzle is quite hard to steer.
5. Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner – Best for People with Allergies
If you have a shag pile carpet at home or at the office, then the Soniclean Upright Soft Carpet cleaner should be on your list. It has a different design as compared to other vacuums for shag carpets. It is a very unique vacuum since it is the only one that uses sonic cleaning technology.
This product features a sonic bar on its bottom section that vibrates 200 times in a second. This helps to dislodge any embedded dirt in your carpet pile. It has a unique brush roll with ultra-soft bristles to effectively clean your shag carpet without damaging the carpet fibers.
Its adjustable vent system allows you to easily clean your high pile carpet when you open the vents. You can switch to cleaning low pile carpets and hard floors by closing the vents. The Soniclean Upright cleaner has a jam protection system that automatically shuts it down whenever it senses that there is an object that is jammed in its brush roll. This helps to extend the life of your vacuum cleaner.
Its HEPA filtration patented system makes it easy to dispose of dust. The Soniclean’s motor is digitally controlled and operates in two cleaning modes; the quiet mode for vacuuming carpets and hard floors and the deep cleaning mode for cleaning carpet areas that are heavily soiled. The sonic bar is activated when it is in its deep cleaning mode.
- Pushing and pulling it across the dense carpet is easy.
- Its HEPA filtration system is patented and is hospital grade.
- Has superior cleaning performance due to its powerful suction.
- Its ultra-soft brush is very effective yet gentle on carpet fibers.
- Its motor is efficiently designed and only consumes 50% of power as compared to several full-sized vacuums.
- Features a 35-feet long power cord so that you don’t have to change outlets when vacuuming multiple rooms.
- Has a full bag indicator that illuminates when its filter bag is full.
- Quite expensive as compared to other vacuums.
- Has limited functionality.
6. Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Bagged Upright Vacuum – Best for Mohawk Carpets
The Oreck Magnesium Upright vacuum is popular because it is very light and is still capable of delivering full power. It features a SlimSwivel design that is unique and facilitates easy maneuverability around furniture. You can also make it lie virtually flat so that you can clean under your bed.
The Oreck has a high-performance motor and a helix rollerbrush that spins at an incredible speed of 7,000 revolutions per minute. This delivers a powerful and efficient cleaning process. It has a HEPA inner bag and a Saniseal docking system that prevents dust from escaping into your air. The Oreck Magnesium vacuum is highly versatile and can clean nearly all types of floor surfaces from shag carpets to hard floors.
Its twin LED lights make it possible to vacuum dark corners and under the tables. What’s more, its brushroll speeds can be adjusted depending on what type of surface you want to clean. TheEndurolife belt that it comes equipped with protects its motor from getting jammed unexpectedly.
- You can easily select the right power level through its wireless QuickSwitchlocated on its handle.
- It is one of the lightest upright vacuums in the market currently.
- Uses direct suction technology for powerful suction.
- Has a large bag that lasts long before it can need replacement.
- Its HEPA bag is fully sealed to keep virtually any allergen from escaping back into your air.
- Comes with a long warranty of 7 years.
- Facilitates better edge cleaning since it has side brushes on both its sides.
- It doesn’t come with any attachment you can use to clean any upholstery.
- It’s quite expensive.
7. Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner – Best Budget Option
If you are looking for the best affordable vacuum suitable for cleaning your shag carpet, then the Bissel Upright Vacuum is an option that is worth considering. Its One Pass technology facilitates efficient cleaning in one pass. The Bissel is capable of getting rid of even the toughest dirt from your high-pile carpet due to its multi-cyclonic system.
Its powerful cleaning is facilitated by its powerful 8-amp motor. What’s more, its two-liter capacity dust cup will take a long time before you need to empty it. Bissell’s multi-level filtration system is designed to efficiently trap fine debris so that no allergen escapes back to the air.
The filter is washable. Its lightweight design does not sacrifice power. Even better, the Bissell vacuum comes equipped with five height adjustments that you can use for cleaning above-the-floor surfaces. The other good thing that you need to know is that this vacuum operates very quietly. You can use it without disturbing the sleep of your neighbors.
- Its lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver.
- Delivers powerful suction for thorough cleaning.
- Cleans on the initial pass due to its One Pass Technology.
- Has large dirt storage.
- Operates quietly.
- It’s a great shag carpet vacuum for the price.
- Perfectly removes pet hair from carpets and floors.
- Its cord length is quite short.
- If you have back issues, the position of its selector could pose a problem for you.
8. Panasonic Vacuum Cleaner MC-UG471 12-Amp Motor Bagged Upright – Best Suction Power
When it comes to the most convenient and the best vacuum for shag carpets on the market, the Panasonic MC Upright Vacuum cleaner is a contender. Panasonic is one of the leading electronic appliances companies. It’s, therefore, safe to conclude that the Panasonic MC Upright Vacuum cleaner is one of their products.
Furthermore, the Panasonic MC Upright Vacuum cleaner comes equipped with special sets of features that boost its performance and its overall value. Its 12-Amp powerful motor facilitates a cleaning performance that is both strong and efficient. The motor is powerful enough to handle the biggest pile of dirt.
It has a HEPA filter that efficiently captures small dirt particles like allergens, irritants, and pollutants. As a result, with the Panasonic MC Upright Vacuum cleaner, you don’t have to worry about any dirt particles or allergens spreading around your house since it will totally get rid of them.
Its most important feature is its unique motor protection system that directs all the dirt and dust to the dust cups. This prevents any dirt particles from getting into contact with the motor fan. The motor will, therefore, have a long lifespan and will work with no complications throughout.
That’s not all, the Panasonic MC Upright Vacuum cleaner will make your cleaning experience easier and more efficient due to its auto-height adjustment feature.
- Its cleaning performance is outstanding.
- Has splendid durability.
- Beautifully designed.
- Its wide cleaning path enables you to quickly clean large areas.
- Its rewind cord makes storage easy.
- Its height adjustment makes it suitable for cleaning carpets of any height.
- Reasonably priced.
- Maneuvering with it is a bit hard.
- It is not lightweight as compared to other vacuums.
FAQ About Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about vacuum cleaners for shag carpets.
Q: Since I have allergies, are there any specific vacuum brands that I should go for?
A: Yes. People who are allergic to dust should always buy vacuums that have a HEPA filter and a sealed dust-free system. This ensures superior filtration of dust, carpet mites and other allergens from the air.
Q: Which ones are better between bagged vacuums and bagless vacuums?
A: There are no clear winners when you pit bagged vacuums against bagless units. Each of these different types of vacuums has their own advantages and disadvantages. However, if you are suffering from allergies, then you need a bag vacuum type. They have the best filtration.
Q: How frequently should I tune up my vacuum?
A: Just like any other electric machine, you cannot operate your vacuum cleaner for a long time without getting it tuned-up. To keep your unit operating at a peak level, you need to get it tuned up after every two years.
Having the best vacuum for shag carpet will really improve your cleaning at home. It will give you a powerful cleaning experience by ensuring that your shag carpets are dust free and are looking super clean. Since not all vacuum cleaners are made the same, to get the best vacuum cleaner, you should limit your options to the products that we have reviewed here. These products will give you value for your money.
When it comes to our pick of the best vacuum cleaner from our list of reviewed products, we pick the Miele C3 Soft Carpet Vacuum because it is an all-round vacuum cleaner. Apart from cleaning deep pile carpets, it is also capable of cleaning all types of floor surfaces from vinyl to wood. Its soft bristles are high quality and ideal for delicate cleaning. The Miele vacuum cleaner also comes with several integrated attachments that are very useful; they include a crevice tool, an upholstery tool, and a dusting brush. All the other products are great and will offer better services too.