Getting the perfect pair of tennis shoes can be a bit daunting since there are so many brands that you will need to choose from. You will also need to look at several factors like comfort, material, and support. To make your life easier, we have reviewed the 10 best tennis shoes for both men and women. This should help in making it easier for you to select the best products with some ease.
- 1 How to Choose the Best Tennis Shoes
- 2 FAQ About Best Tennis Shoes
- 3 Best Men’s Tennis Shoes 2019
- 3.1 1. Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic – Best Overall Pick
- 3.2 Pros
- 3.3 Cons
- 3.4 2. Adidas Barricade Club – Best Breathable Tennis Shoes
- 3.5 Pros
- 3.6 Cons
- 3.7 3. Babolat Jet Men’s Tennis Shoes – Best Light Tennis Shoes
- 3.8 Pros
- 3.9 Cons
- 3.10 4. K-Swiss Men’s Hypercourt Express – Best for Wide Feet Players
- 3.11 Pros
- 3.12 Cons
- 3.13 5. Head Men’s Sonic Tennis Shoe – Best for Stability
- 3.14 Pros
- 3.15 Cons
- 4 Best Women’s Tennis Shoes 2019
- 4.1 1. Asics Gel Women’s Resolution 7 – Best for Stability
- 4.2 Pros
- 4.3 Cons
- 4.4 2. NikeCourt Women’s Zoom Vapor Tennis Shoes – Best Overall Pick
- 4.5 Pros
- 4.6 Cons
- 4.7 3. Wilson Women’s Rush Pro – Best Cushioned Shoes
- 4.8 Pros
- 4.9 Cons
- 4.10 4. ASICS Speed FF Tennis Shoe Women – Best Responsive Shoes
- 4.11 Pros
- 4.12 Cons
- 4.13 5. New Balance Women’s Wc806 – Best Breathable Tennis Shoes
- 4.14 Pros
- 4.15 Cons
- 5 Conclusion
How to Choose the Best Tennis Shoes
Below are important factors that you need to carefully consider when buying a pair of tennis shoes.
1. Type of Court Surface
When choosing which tennis shoe brand you want to buy, you need to consider the type of features you want your tennis shoes to have. These features will be determined by the type of court surface you will be playing your tennis on. When playing on different court surfaces, you need tennis shoes that are suited for that type of surface, whether it is on a hard court, clay or grass.
When playing on clay courts, you will need to rally a lot hence you will need tennis shoes that will offer good lateral stability and support. Hard courts, on the other hand, need tennis shoes that are able to withstand wear. When playing on a grass court, you want tennis shoes that will make it easier for you to stop and make abrupt turns while still remaining stable.
2. Material Used to Manufacture the Shoes
You should also carefully consider the type of material that is used to construct your tennis shoes. The upper should be made of lightweight material to give you perfect support. The upper should also be breathable so that you can wear the shoes for longer without your feet getting hot.
Most tennis shoes are made of mesh upper making them to be extremely breathable. You should, therefore, go for tennis shoes that consist of a mesh upper since they will be lightweight, breathable and durable.
3. Midsole and Outsole
When it comes to selecting the right tennis shoes for you, the midsole and the outsole will be two vital aspects that you will have to look at. The midsole of your tennis shoes will determine how comfortable they are. You should go for shoes that have an adequate amount of cushioning in their midsole so that your feet can be protected from the shock of landing impacts when you are volleying or serving.
That’s not all; you also need to check if the shoes have the right amount of ankle support to prevent your ankles from getting injured while playing. When it comes to the outsole, it should be capable of offering adequate traction for the type of court surface you are going to be playing on. Luckily enough, the sole of most tennis shoes provides good amounts of traction for all types of court surfaces.
FAQ About Best Tennis Shoes
1. How Should You lace Your Tennis Shoes?
There are so many ways you can lace your tennis shoes. However, there is a way in which you can lace your shoes to help prevent foot pain. The best way to lace your tennis shoes is by starting from the eyelets that are close to your toes and then you move up towards the tongue. The best method you can employ to lace your shoes is the crisscross method.
2. How Should Your Tennis Shoes Fit?
You need your shoes to offer you complete comfort and support throughout the match. For you to have tennis shoes that fit perfectly, ensure that there is at least a half an inch of space between the end of your shoes and your big toes. Your fit should not slip up in your shoes while you are walking.
3. How Can You Stop Your Tennis Shoes from Squeaking?
Sports shoes often squeak. You can stop your tennis shoes from squeaking by applying baby powder underneath your insole. You should also wear socks all the time. After using your sneakers, always clean them and ensure that you dry them well.
Best Men’s Tennis Shoes 2019
1. Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic – Best Overall Pick
Tennis is a competitive and fast sport that requires excellent performance from your feet. You want to move quickly and effortlessly across the court. You also need your feet to be protected from the pressures you are putting on them while playing the game. You will need a tennis shoe that will give you all of that plus more.
The Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic will help you lift your game and keep you stable on the court. It features a rubber sole to give you maximum grip so you can make sudden stops and turn in seconds without losing your balance. It also features a SprintFrame construction to give you speed on the court. Its ADIWEAR 6 outsole is extremely durable and makes the shoes strong.
The Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic tennis shoes are made of an EVA midsole and are lightweight. This midsole gives it extra cushioning to keep your foot comfortable throughout. Its ADITUFF feature gives extra protection to the toes.
Since when you play tennis, your toes are the most severely punished foot area, you need tennis shoes that will offer excellent protection in this area. Keeping this in mind, the Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic has put an abrasion resistance material in this area for ultimate support and comfort to your toes.
- Excellent traction.
- Its EVA midsole will provide superb comfort.
- Its SprintFrame construction boosts your agility and speed.
- Features a mesh cage upper for breathability.
- Perfect fit.
- Firm, flat and stable.
- Roomy toe box.
- Features solid plastic counters for extra support to the ankles.
- Suitable all types of courts, from clay to hard courts.
- Quite rigid and a bit unsupportive.
- Not the most durable.
2. Adidas Barricade Club – Best Breathable Tennis Shoes
Whether you are a pro tennis player or a beginner, you will love your pair of Adidas Barricade tennis shoes. They are popular due to their stability and the excellent support they offer to tennis players. They feature the Adiprene plus cushioning system on the heel and forefoot area. You will feel comfortable in them even when you make forceful landings.
Another feature that makes the Adidas Barricade shoes great is its ADIWAR outsole. The sole offers maximum grip on all types of surfaces. Its 3D Torsion System on its midfoot is designed to provide extra support and stability. If you are a player who drags their feet when playing tennis, you will love its abrasion-resistant material that covers its forefoot to offer protection.
Its barricade mesh upper makes this shoe brand to be highly breathable. That’s not all; the shoes have synthetic overlays on their upper for a snug fit and better support and stability. In terms of cost and value, this shoe brand offers one of the best values for your money. The Adirprene cushioning system and high-quality outsole make the Adidas Barricade tennis shoe worth the investment.
- Very breathable.
- Extremely lightweight making it a good tennis shoe for both men and women.
- Features Adiprene on the heel area for extra cushioning.
- Remarkable comfort level.
- Versatile hence can be used for other sports like running or badminton.
- Perfectly fits to size.
- Cool design.
- Reasonably priced.
- Thick and flexible soles.
- Its upper is not durable.
- A bit narrow for people with wide feet.
3. Babolat Jet Men’s Tennis Shoes – Best Light Tennis Shoes
Babolat’s men Jet Mach II is one of the super-lightest tennis shoes that offers great stability. It was designed for aggressive tennis players who need absolute maximum performance from their tennis shoes. Although they are extremely lightweight, weighing only 11.5 ounces, Babolat Jet Men’s Tennis shoes do not sacrifice on quality and durability.
It features a MatrYX upper that is made of Kevlar material to give your shoes a longer lifespan by protecting it from wear. Its unique Kompressor heel is designed to offer superior shock absorption to your heels. It uses a special thermoplastic rubber and memory foam to provide great cushioning to your feet.
What’s more, it will protect your feet and joints from injuries as a result of forceful impacts. In terms of traction, the Babolat Jet Mach II shoes offer traction that is right on the money. Its balance of slip and grip is just where you will like it. When you wear these shoes, you will get the right traction you need to come to an abrupt stop or to quickly push off when directly changing directions.
- It’s rubber outsole is made of durable Michelin rubber.
- Desirably light.
- Has a wide toe box to perfectly fit wide-foot players.
- Its innovative upper offers excellent stability and support by wrapping around the foot.
- Ortholite insole offers great cushioning levels.
- Very flexible since the upper breaks in fast.
- Offers improved lateral support due to its high shoe collar.
- Designed to give you a better feel of the court with its low to ground design.
- Sizing difficulties due to narrow fit.
- Quite expensive.
4. K-Swiss Men’s Hypercourt Express – Best for Wide Feet Players
Here is another great option for men looking for tennis shoes that are lightweight and capable of offering high-level comfort and performance without being too bulky. If you are a wide feet player who wants shoes that can let you play fast and sleek, then the K-Swiss HyperCourt Express is the right option.
One of its best features is it’sSeamfree upper which features layers of TPU cage bonded on a breathable mesh. This technology helps to create a seamless, breathable and lightweight upper that will give you a stable fit by comfortably wrapping around your foot. Its upper is also designed with the DuraWap technology to give it a stiffer feel.
Its tongue and ankle collar are padded to eliminate any hotspots and pressure points that are common with other tennis shoes. That’s not all, the HyperCourt Express shoe has a unique sock liner made of Die-Cut EVA foam that offers the best combination of arch support and cushioning.
What’s more, it also has a lot of space for your own inserts. Its heel has a non-slip material lined along to prevent your heels from sleeping while wearing the shoe.
- Comes in plenty of beautiful color choices.
- Designed with the right amount of flex to make you feel like your foot has been joined with the shoe.
- Has roomy upper.
- Good for overpronators.
- Appropriate lacing options for a snug fit.
- Top notch traction on any court surface.
- Outsole made of rubber for longevity.
- The DragGuard technology makes the toe and heel areas abrasion-resistant.
- Durable construction.
- Not suitable for narrow feet.
- The extra room may make it feel less supportive on your feet.
5. Head Men’s Sonic Tennis Shoe – Best for Stability
The outstanding ultra-comfort of the Head Men’s Sonic tennis shoe has left lasting impressions on tennis players who have used it. This is mainly thanks to its remarkably plush tongue and midsole that is EVA-padded. Wearing them will give you a comfortable experience on the court since they also require little break-in.
The upper is designed to mold to the shape of your foot for a snug fit. When it comes to foot stability and support, the Men’s Sonic tennis shoe feels stable and offers support that is right on the money. Thanks to its firm heel cup and midfoot shank, you will easily and safely change directions without experiencing any heel slippage on the court.
Even when you make hard lateral stops, you will still stay centered in your shoes. In terms of overall sole durability, you should feel confident that you will get your money’s worth, considering that you will get a 6-month durability guarantee. You will use them for quite some time without seeing any significant wear on your outsoles.
The Men’s Sonic features a Hybrasion-plus outsole that gives it excellent grip to help you move confidently. The shoes also provide a good amount of grip whenever you come to abrupt stops.
- Remarkably breathable.
- Enables you to move fast and easily on the court.
- Features a sleeker profile.
- Its EVA material on the midsole creates a rebounding response.
- Made with a drift defense technology to offer your toe additional protection.
- Maximum grip on all court surfaces due to its high-abrasion rubber outsole.
- Upper made of 4D foam for a plush feel.
- Has no slippage in the heels.
- Size is almost a full size off.
- Too much room in its forefoot area.
- Excessively longer shoelaces.
Best Women’s Tennis Shoes 2019
1. Asics Gel Women’s Resolution 7 – Best for Stability
If you are looking for a perfect tennis shoe brand for women, then the Asics Gel Women’s Resolution would be a perfect match for you. This shoe brand is specifically designed for female tennis players. Asics understands that the way women play tennis is different from the way men play. Women rally more on the court as compared to men. As a result, they need tennis shoes that will allow them to move quickly around the court.
The Asics Gel Women’s Resolution 7 tennis shoes are designed with a host of excellent features that include a rubber sole to provide maximum traction on all types of court surfaces. Even better, the Asics Gel Women’s Resolution features a FlexionFit on its heel area for added comfort and support for excellent stability on the court.
Since all tennis players are always at a higher risk of injuring their toes, the Asics Gel Women’s Resolution is designed to protect its wearers from such injuries. This is due to its Pguard toe protector that protects your toes from the pressures of making sharp turns, lunges, and stops when playing.
In terms of shock protection, the Asics Gel Women’s Resolution has gel cushioning on its forefoot and rearfoot sections. Its padded collar and tongue also offers added protection and support and also makes wearing the shoes extremely comfortable. It’s AHAR plus high-abrasion outsole and FluidRide construction not only offers excellent protection but also makes the shoes desirably durable.
- Good for women with foot problems such as plantar fasciitis and bunions.
- Its gel cushioning offers a comfortable yet supportive feel.
- Looks great on and off the court due to their beautiful color options.
- Designed with impact guiding technology to enhance the foot’s natural gait.
- Allows foot movement in multiple planes.
- Its Trusstic system technology gives the shoe good structural integrity.
- Its AHAR+ outsole improves durability.
- Heel fit collar lining creates a personalized fit.
- Average breathability.
- Players with wide feet may need a break-in period for the shoes to fit them well.
2. NikeCourt Women’s Zoom Vapor Tennis Shoes – Best Overall Pick
The NikeCourt Women’s Zoom Vapor Tennis Shoes perfectly combines a state of the art design with responsiveness to make it one of the best tennis shoes for women. The Nike Air Zoom Vapor X has several features that make it live up to the reputation of the Nike Vapor line. It’s underfoot cushioning system is minimal yet responsive. This will give you a high-level of connection to the court surface and step-in comfort that is unmatched.
The Nike Air Zoom also features an XDR outsole to make it durable and offer the right amount of traction you need on the court. The outsole has herringbone tread patterns that give it adequate traction even on soft court surfaces. Its dynamic fit system offers the best lockdown to your feet so that there are no inside movements.
Being a lighter-weight tennis shoe, the Nike women’s Air Zoom provides satisfying levels of support and stability. Its lacing system will give you that supportive feel so that you don’t have to worry about rolling your ankles. In terms of cost and value, The NikeCourt Zoom Women’s shoes are a great investment. The shoes are versatile hence can be used for other sports.
- It has set the bar in terms of being lightweight.
- Great traction that offers maximum grip on the court surface.
- Excellent foot support.
- Boosts speed and agility.
- Comes in adorable color swooshes.
- Super cute design.
- Stable footing.
- The dynamic fit system offers a glove-like fit.
- Its TPU midfoot shank offers excellent stability.
- Features a thick outsole for added durability.
- Has a low to the ground design.
- Its innovative outsole aids in aggressive movements.
- You need some time to get used to its traction.
- Its snug fit is reduced in the mesh area.
3. Wilson Women’s Rush Pro – Best Cushioned Shoes
This is also another great tennis shoe brand for women. If your style of play is an explosive and fast one, then the Wilson Women’s Rush Pro is a good choice. It is the latest version of Wilson’s Rush pro franchise. The shoes are designed with support and stability in mind. The midsole of the shoes are made using DST foam for improved cushioning and to also facilitate a faster response.
Its perfect fit technology will offer you a tighter feel on your heel area. Its upper consists of a mesh that is both lightweight and breathable. The Rush Pro 2.5 3-D TPU materials injected in its forefoot area for improved responsiveness and increased stability.
When it comes to the outsole, it consists of an upgraded Duralastmaterial that gives it durability and offer players with the right traction. The outrigger geometry on the outsole makes the shoes more stable on all types of court surfaces. Its unique Pro Torque Chassis is designed for a stable arch so that you can have torsion control of your feet. As a result, your feet are assured of excellent support even when you make fast lateral movements.
- Ample cushioning so that your feet will stay well protected from the impacts of hard landings.
- Extra room in its toe box.
- Well ventilated to protect your feet from overheating.
- Comfortable padding in the heel area.
- Feels more streamlined and lighter.
- The tongue offers a locked-in fit and feel.
- Adequate stability and support.
- Durable outsole.
- Weighs enough to keep you from feeling unstable.
- Takes quite a long time to dry after getting wet.
- No adequate protection on the toe guard.
- Traction is a bit sticky.
4. ASICS Speed FF Tennis Shoe Women – Best Responsive Shoes
ASICS is known for making high-quality athletic shoes. Their tennis shoe brands are one of the best. They make tennis shoes for both men and women. Their ASICS Speed FF Tennis Shoe Women is one of the best tennis shoes for women. These shoes are designed to offer support, comfort, and stability to women playing tennis.
The ASICS Speed FF Tennis Shoe Women features a Flexion Fit upper throughout its entire length. This upper offers excellent comfort and fit by following your foot’s contours. Its personal heel fit is made of memory foam to give you superior comfort and a personal fit.
It has a GEL cushioning system made of a Solyte midsole in its forefoot and rear sections for a boosted push-offs. Its PGuard feature offers toe protection and adds durability to the shoe. Even better, the shoe features a herringbone pattern on its outsole for maximum traction on court surfaces.
The ASICS Speed FF Tennis Shoe Women also comes with a sockliner that you can remove to make room for a medical orthotic. The midsoles of these shoes are made with the Flytefoam technology to give it exceptional responsiveness and bounce-back abilities. The technology employs organic fibers to eliminate packing out which occurs when low-density foam is used.
- Its newly engineered upper makes it more flexible.
- It’s lighter as compared to previous versions.
- Features a Polyurethane material that gives it more durability.
- The truss tic system will keep your foot well supported.
- GEL cushioning ensures complete comfort.
- Better fit and stability due to its heel fit technology.
- Maximum traction for all types of courts.
- Exceptionally plush.
- Features a high abrasion outsole makes the shoe even more durable.
- Thin shoelaces.
- Not excellently breathable.
- Squeaky outsoles.
5. New Balance Women’s Wc806 – Best Breathable Tennis Shoes
This is one of the hottest women’s tennis shoes in the market. It is well designed to provide stability, support, and comfort on the courts. Its upper is made of a breathable and lightweight leather and synthetic material. It features ABZORB cushioning, a C-Cap midsole and a superfast drying liner that are combined to create a lightweight women’s shoe.
The outsoles of these shoes are made of rubber to provide great traction. As a result, playing tennis in the New Balance Women’s Wc806 shoes will be worth it since you will move around the court with a lot of confidence. The other good thing about this brand of tennis shoes is that it provides a quick pivoting and lateral motion which every tennis player needs on the court.
You can also expect to get the best traction ever when playing tennis using these shoes. The only issue that most people complain about regarding these shoes is that they are somehow narrow for people having wider feet. There is also no less space in its toe box.
- Features a herringbone outsole for maximum traction.
- Facilitates quick pivoting and lateral motion.
- Its Lightning Dry liner ensures that your feet stay dry throughout your training session.
- Designed to offer great stability and support on the court.
- Sturdy design.
- Excellent fit.
- One of the most comfortable tennis shoes.
- A bit narrow for people with wide feet.
- There is no extra space in its toe box.
Great performance on the tennis court isn’t all about your skills, balls or racquet. Even your footwork will also determine how well you perform. As a result, having the best tennis shoes can help boost the level of your game. Getting yourself top quality pair of tennis sneakers will give you the flexibility, comfort, support, and stability that you need to deliver your best performance.
We have reviewed for you 10 of the best men and women tennis shoes. You can choose one depending on the features that you need and your budget. When it comes to our pick, for men, we would recommend the Adidas Men’s Adizero Performance Ubersonic. It offers the best foot protection since its midsole is extra-cushioned with an EVA foam material. It will also provide you with excellent traction on all court surfaces and is designed to boost your agility and speed. For women, we would recommend the NikeCourt Women’s Zoom Vapor Tennis Shoes. Its XDR outsole offers the best traction that you need to be stable on all types of court surfaces. Its level of support and stability is also excellent. That’s not all; the shoes feature state of the art design that will also make you the envy of others on the court.