As a senior citizen, your body will tend to lose the rigidity and flexibility that it once had in your youthful years. To continue keeping fit for a healthy lifestyle, you will need to exercise. The great news is that there is always the best recumbent bike for seniors to take your exercise to the next level without the possibility of experiencing injuries or discomfort! These bikes will help you keep your calories within the acceptable level as they develop your muscles for excellent physical body shape. To get yourself the best recumbent bike for seniors, you will have to go shopping and choose the best bike.
- 1 How Do You Choose the Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors?
- 2 8 Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors Reviews 2019
- 2.1 1. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Cardiovascular Endurance
- 2.2 2. LifeSpan R3i Recumbent Bike – Best for Starters
- 2.3 3. Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike – For Challenging Cardio Exercises
- 2.4 4. SOLE Fitness R52 Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Heavy Duty Cardio Exercises
- 2.5 5. Pooboo Recumbent Exercise Bike – Offers Perfect Portability
- 2.6 6. Merax Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Perfect Adjustability
- 2.7 7. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike – Ideal For Offering the Greatest Comfort
- 2.8 8. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for All Ages
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 4 Conclusion
How Do You Choose the Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors?
When looking to buy the best recumbent bike for seniors, there are a few features that you’ll have to keep a closer eye on. What are these features?
1. The Frame Design and Quality
The frame of a recumbent bike gives it the sturdiness that will support your body’s weight. Also, the frame design will determine the ease of usage. As such, the frame design and quality are two features that you must not overlook.
You can choose a recumbent bike with a heavy-duty and high-quality steel tubing frame if you want a bike that will support your weight without any hassle. When it comes to the frame design, you can choose a bike with a step-through design.
2. The Display Size and Type
Recumbent bike for seniors come in varying display sizes though most of them have the LCD display type. Larger screens display more workout information than smaller ones. Also, you could opt for backlit displays which are easy to read even during the day. Besides, larger screens display larger writings or information which are easy to see.
3. The Seat Design
You could choose a recumbent bike whose seat is large enough and heavily padded for greater comfort. Also, choose a bike with a backrest to prevent any backbone injury. And when it comes to the seat design, go for seats with horizontal adjustability to compensate for any body height issue that you might have.
4. Pedal Design
Make sure that the pedals have highly textured surfaces that work to prevent slips during workouts. Also, make sure that the pedals have adjustable foot straps that secure your foot from slipping thus preventing injuries.
5. The Handlebar Design
The handle is another feature that you must keep a keen eye on. The handlebar should feature a soft foam padding that will guarantee a snug and non-slip grip to reduce accidents. Also, each handlebar should have dual pulse sensors to give you a real-time pulse reading on your machine’s LCD monitor.
6. Flywheel Rotation Resistibility and Workout Programs
A good recumbent bike option has flywheel rotation resistibility that simulates all the challenging cycling terrain. Also, it has more workout programs that help you exercise better. When looking to buy the best recumbent bike for seniors, you could choose one with more resistibility levels and more workout programs. Also, make sure that your machine rides quietly and features an easy-to-use resistibility knob.
7. Transportation Wheels
As a bonus, go for a unit with built-in transportation wheels to help you roll it from one room to another without using a lot of energy. Once you consider all these features, you might get your hands on the best recumbent bike for seniors.
8 Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors Reviews 2019
1. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Cardiovascular Endurance
This exercise bike features a sturdy and heavy-duty 14-gauge steel tubing in its body construction and design. Not only does this steel tube make it strong, but also makes it durable as well. To guarantee durability, this exercise bike’s steel frame features a powder-coated finish that protects it from all kinds of weather conditions.
When it comes to displaying your workout metrics, this elegant and beautiful exercise bike for seniors features an easy-to-read ultra-functional LCD computer screen. This screen displays information regarding time, speed, distance and the calories that you’ve burned throughout your workout or exercise.
Since this bike doesn’t have levelers, setting it up on a flat floor is ideal. Aside from that suggestion, this bike features a foam-padded saddle with a backrest for excellent comfort during workouts. And to make sure that you’re very stable during exercise, this bike also features two handles that you could grab and hold on. Besides, the handles are also foam-padded to give you a comfortable grip.
Cycling a bike involves passing through various terrains with different levels of inclination. Sometimes you go through flat surfaces and sometimes you go up a hill. To simulate all these different kinds of terrain, this bike features an adjustable knob that magnetically sets 8 levels of cycling resistance. This gives you the opportunity to develop the muscles that you will need to conquer all the challenging terrains! Looking at its pedals, this exercise bike features adjustable foot straps to secure your foot and also to give you the right fit. The pedals also provide the counterbalance that you need when exercising.
- It features a step-through design.
- Has an easy-to-read screen.
- Has 8 resistance levels to help you exercise better.
- The pedals have counterbalance and foot straps for great comfort and support.
- The saddle has foam padding for great comfort.
- Features easy installation.
- It is sturdy and durable.
- It doesn’t come with a pulse rate monitor.
- It doesn’t have pre-programmed workouts.
- The seat doesn’t have a headrest.
2. LifeSpan R3i Recumbent Bike – Best for Starters
This recumbent bike is ideal for people with back or foot pain. First, it features a multi-color LCD screen that displays information regarding your program’s name, speed, distance and workout level. Also, this screen will show you such details as the date, time, your heart rate, the resistance level that you’ve opted for and the RPM.
The seat of this bike provides comfort that only a few products can offer. The bottom of the seat features a molded foam which guarantees comfort. This seat has a backrest that is flexible and breathable to make its adjustment very easy. You could adjust the backrest to your preferred inclination angle for greater comfort and lumbar support. The whole seat features armrests which also make sure that you stay as comfortable as possible.
Besides having an office-style and highly comfortable seat, this bike also features a quiet pedaling system which has foot straps to secure your foot. Also, this bike has 16 resistance levels which simulate all the challenges that you’d go through while cycling. These resistance levels develop your vital muscles for great physical shape.
This product comes with 17 workout programs which fall under three groups: weight loss, sports training, and active living. Also, this bike has two heart rate training- the interval heart rate and the constant heart rate to help you achieve your exercise goal. And if you need a different exercise goal for some reasons, you could as well customize your training program. This bike can support weights of up to 400 pounds, thanks to its sturdy body construction and design. Its high-quality components such bearings, pulleys, and flywheel guarantee durability and reliability.
- It has a USB port that lets you upload your exercise progress record to your FREELifeSpan Club account.
- It supports up to 400 pounds of weight.
- It has a multi-color screen to display all your exercise data.
- The office-style seat is comfortable.
- Has armrests for more comfort and support.
- Has 17 workout programs which you can customize.
- Has 16 resistance levels for better exercise.
- Has counterbalanced pedals with foot straps.
- Comes with contact heart rate sensors.
- It doesn’t feature Bluetooth connectivity.
- Has no headrest.
- Doesn’t come with chest straps.
3. Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike – For Challenging Cardio Exercises
This recumbent bike features an easy-to-read LCD screen which displays all your exercise information such as distance, time, speed, the calories you’ve burned so far and your heart rate during a workout. As such, this product lets you keep track of your own exercise or workouts.
When it comes to the handles, this recumbent bike also comes in handy. It features heart rate sensors in its handles. Since you will obviously be holding on to the handles, you will not only have support and stability during your workouts but you will also have real-time pulse rate readings on your LCD screen!
This bike has an oversized seat cushion to give you maximum comfort. Also, the seat has a backrest which also has excellent cushioning for additional comfort. The whole seat features horizontal adjustability to accommodate your height.
When it comes to proper exercise, this bike features 8 resistance levels which you’ll activate using a black adjustable knob. The eddy current initiates the resistance according to your selection. This 8 resistance adjustability simulates the challenging cycling experiences thus preparing you adequately for real-life events. Due to its elegant and high-quality body construction design, this unit can support body weights of up to 325 pounds. This makes it ideal for many users. The pedaling process is super easy and very safe. Besides featuring foot straps that prevent foot slippage during exercise, the pedals also feature a step-thru design to give you more comfortable and easy workouts.
- The LCD screen displays data such as time, speed and distance among other data.
- The handles have heart rate monitors.
- The seat features horizontal adjustability.
- The pedals have anti-slip foot straps.
- It has 8 tension adjustability to perfect your training exercise.
- The seat is heavily cushioned for great comfort.
- This unit supports up to 325 pounds of weight.
- Details about warranty are not very clear.
- Assembling this unit takes some time.
4. SOLE Fitness R52 Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Heavy Duty Cardio Exercises
Heavy-duty steel tubing goes into constructing this recumbent bike. As such, it is strong, durable and reliable, and can support a user weight of up to 285 pounds. Once you come close to this bike, you will probably meet its 6.5-inch LCD screen with a blue backlight first. This screen is perfectly fitted on a console center that also has buttons to ease the usage.
The console center also has in-built speakers that let you listen to your favorite music track during a workout. Besides, this bike has a wireless receiver for your Mp3 music in your iPod or smart mobile device such as an iPhone. The screen displays workout information such as time, speed, distance, calories you’ve burned so far, laps, heartbeat rate and workout program that you’re working on.
As such, the screen comes in handy when it comes to feeding you real-time information. The console center has two handles, one on each side of the console. These handles give users the support and stability that they need during workouts. When you come to this recumbent bike’s seat, you will also find two handlebars on the sides of the seat. These handlebars have a pulse grip zone that gives you real-time information on your pulse rate during a workout.
The seat of this unit has an excellent cushion to make you as comfortable as possible. The seat also features a backrest with a breathable mesh. This backrest is adjustable and you could adjust it to your preferred position. This ensures a high level of comfort during an exercise. The seat also features horizontal adjustability to take care of the difference in users’ heights.
This bike features 10 workout programs which cover all the vital areas that you need to work on. Besides, it has 20 resistance levels to train you perfectly well, thanks to the 22 pounds magnetic flywheel that it features. All the 20 resistance levels simulate the challenging terrains that you’d have to go through if you were cycling a real bicycle. The pedals of this bike feature a true step-thru design that eases your cycling experience. Also, each pedal has an adjustable foot strap that secures your foot to prevent slippage. Due to its elegant and state-of-the-art design, this recumbent bike is ideal for people who are looking to relieve their knee stress or pain in the lower back.
- It has an easy-to-read LCD screen with a blue backlight.
- It has 10 workout programs to help you with a workout plan.
- Has 20 resistance levels for excellent exercise.
- It has seat side handlebars with dual pulse rate sensors.
- The seat is adjustable and is heavily padded for great comfort level.
- The pedals have adjustable foot straps.
- It has built-in speakers and a wireless receiver for your mp3 music.
- Has transportation wheels for portability.
- It doesn’t come with a chest strap for easy pulse rate detection.
- It takes up some space in your room.
5. Pooboo Recumbent Exercise Bike – Offers Perfect Portability
This recumbent bike features a heavy-duty steel frame that makes it strong and durable. Since it has a steel-made frame, this bike can support up to 330 pounds of bodyweight. This unit also has an easy-to-read digital LCD screen that helps you monitor your exercise or workout records. This screen displays information such as speed, time, distance, pulse rate and the calories that you’ve burned so far just to mention a few data.
Just next to the LCD monitor are two soft foam-padded handlebars. These two handlebars provide a snug and anti-slip grip which you need during your workouts or exercises. Also close to the two handlebars is a flywheel resistance adjustability knob. With a simple twist of the knob, you could easily increase or decrease the flywheel’s rotation resistibility for an effective workout.
And to make sure that you have excellent simulations that reflect all the terrains that you’d have to go through on a real bicycle, this recumbent bike has 8 pre-set levels of magnetic resistance! The seat of this unit features excellent high-density foam padding which has been wrapped in high-quality leather.
As such, the seat is highly comfortable, and you could adjust its backrest and the whole seat to your preferred position for a comfortable workout. This bike also has seat side handlebars that have dual pulse rate sensors. When you hold these handlebars and relax your grip on them, you will receive real-time heart rate reading on your LCD monitor. Just near the seat is an easy-to-reach bottle holder for your water supply. The pedals of this bike feature a step-thru design that eases your riding experience. Also, these pedals have adjustable foot straps that prevent foot slippage when cycling. Besides, these pedals’ surfaces are anti-slip to protect you further. When it comes to portability, this bike comes in handy. Its rear stabilizers have transport wheels mounted on them to help you roll this unit from one corner to another, without having to lift up your recumbent bike!
- It has an easy-to-read LCD monitor.
- It has an easy-to-use tension adjustability knob.
- The handles have soft foam padding for excellent grip.
- The seat side handlebars have heart rate sensors.
- This unit has portability wheels.
- The seat is adjustable and has excellent padding for a great comfort level.
- The pedals have ergonomic step-thru design and they have foot straps for safety reasons.
- It has a bottle holder for your water supply.
- The seat has a backrest and is adjustable as well.
- This unit doesn’t come with wireless Bluetooth connectivity.
- It doesn’t feature a headrest for excellent comfort level.
6. Merax Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for Perfect Adjustability
This recumbent bike features high-quality heavy-duty steel tubing that makes it strong and durable. With this kind of body frame, this bike can support body weights of up to 380 pounds. For efficient workout-tracking, this bike features an easy-to-read LCD screen that displays workout information such as time, speed, distance, the calories that you’ve burned so far and your body’s pulse rate.
Just next to this LCD screen is an easy-to-twist knob which sets the flywheel’s tension. This tension knob creates resistibility of the flywheel’s rotation to simulate all the challenging cycling difficulties that you’d go through while cycling a real bicycle. This ensures an effective workout experience. The resistibility, which is magnetically initiated, has 8 levels to give you proper muscle training.
This unit has two sets of handles- the seat side handlebars and the handlebars near the digital LCD monitor. Both of these sets of handles have soft paddings for a snug and anti-slip grip when you’re working out. The seat side handlebars have dual pulse rate sensors to give you real-time reading on your body’s heart rate. For efficient pulse rate reading, you can hold the two seat sides handlebars.
The seat of this bike features a backrest and is heavily cushioned for a comfortable exercise. Besides having a large cushion, the seat has an easy-to-reach lever that lets you adjust it horizontally to accommodate your height.
The pedals are also excellently designed since their surfaces are anti-slip, thanks to their high-quality textures. Also, these pedals have adjustable foot straps which you could adjust to your ideal fit. When you combine their highly textured surfaces with the foot straps, you will have a secure and non-slip workout. The front stabilizers feature portability or transport wheels which come in handy when you want to roll this recumbent bike from one corner to another. This recumbent bike is, therefore, a true state-of-the-art workout solution for most people.
- This unit has an easy-to-read LCD screen.
- Has dual pulse rate sensors.
- The portability wheels smoothen the transportation process.
- The pedals have textured surfaces and foot straps for non-slip workouts.
- The seat is heavily padded and has a backrest for comfortable workouts,
- The seat is also adjustable through a hand lever.
- This unit can support heavy users with ease.
- Has 8-level resistibility for effective training sessions.
- This bike doesn’t support people who are heavier than 380 pounds.
- It doesn’t feature Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
- It doesn’t feature a headrest.
7. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike – Ideal For Offering the Greatest Comfort
This recumbent bike features a sturdy body construction and design, making it able to support bodyweights of up to 350 pounds. This bike also features a digital LCD monitor that displays workout information such as speed, time, distance, pulse rate and the total calories that you’ve burned so far. All this is to help you track your workout progress.
You could also place your tablet over the monitor since this bike features a tablet holder which is above the digital monitor. As such, this recumbent bike comes in handy when it comes to listening to your favorite music track during workouts. Unlike other recumbent bikes with fixed handlebars, this unit has movable handlebars with dual pulse rate sensors.
These handles work to build up your arms’ muscles as well when working out, giving you an all-round body fitness! This bike, just like most bikes that we’ve reviewed so far, has 8 pre-set flywheel resistance levels to give your varying workout intensity. To select a workout intensity, just crank up a knob to your preferred workout resistance.
This bike features a seat with a backrest. The seat features heavy cushioning to make you as comfortable as possible during workouts. Besides, the seat’s heavy paddings relieve pressure points in your tailbone for hassle-free exercise. And just like all the recurrent bikes that we have seen so far, this one too features horizontal seat adjustability to accommodate your height. It has a seat lever or adjuster to help you achieve this effect. When you look at the pedals of this machine, their surfaces are highly textures to give you a non-slip cycling experience. These pedals also have adjustable foot straps that secure your foot during a workout. Besides, these pedals feature a step-through design that eases your workouts, no matter the resistance level that you’ve chosen. And as a bonus, this machine has in-built transportation wheels to ease moving or rolling it from one corner to another.
- This machine supports a whopping 350 pounds of body weight.
- It features movable handlebars with dual heartbeat rate sensors.
- The seat is heavily padded and is adjustable.
- Has in-built transportation wheels.
- Has 8 pre-set flywheel resistibilities for intense workouts.
- Besides have a digital LCD screen, this machine also has a tablet holder.
- It has a backrest for your helicate back during exercise.
- The pedals have textures surfaces and also have foot straps.
- The LCD screen displays real-time workout information.
- This unit doesn’t have a headrest.
- It will not support users who are heavier than 350 pounds.
- Its design doesn’t impress all customers.
8. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike – Ideal for All Ages
This recumbent bike has a beautiful LCD monitor that displays your workout data such as time, speed, distance, the calories that you’ve burned so far and your pulse. This gives you a real-time workout record which you could use to evaluate yourself.
Besides featuring an LCD screen, it also has a tablet or phone holder which comes in handy when you want to listen to your favorite music track while working out. This machine has two handlebars near the LCD monitor which you could hold on while burning those unwanted calories. These handlebars have soft vinyl foam padding to give you a snug and non-slip grip of your machine.
Another set of handles exist at the sides of this machine’s seat. This set of handlebars have dual heartbeat rate sensors to give you real-time readings on your pulse while working out. The seat of this machine not only has a backrest but is also large and heavily padded for a great comfort level.
The seat has an easy-to-reach lever that lets you adjust it horizontally, thereby compensating for height issues among users. This unit also features 8-level resistance to simulate the challenging terrains that you’d normally go through if you were cycling a real bicycle. With an easy-to-twist knob, you can select your preferred resistance to give you a workout intensity of your choice. The pedals aren’t only easy to use since they have textured surfaces to prevent slips. Also, the pedals have foot straps to secure your feet, thereby preventing slips during usage even further. And as a bonus, the front stabilizers of this recumbent bike has transportation wheels to help you roll it from one room or corner to another.
- This unit has an easy-to-read monitor to display all your workout information.
- The seat has a backrest and is heavily padded for a comfortable exercise.
- The seat features adjustability functionality.
- The seat side handlebars have heart rate sensors.
- This machine has a smart mobile device holder.
- The pedals’ surfaces have textures for a non-slip workout.
- The foot straps also save users from slipping.
- This unit has 8-level resistibility for effective training.
- Has 24/7 customer support and a 30-day refund guarantee if the product is defective because of the manufacturer’s error.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The warranty is limited to 24 months only.
- This product doesn’t have a headrest for a comfy workout.
- It cannot support users who are above the 220 pounds body weight threshold.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is a recumbent bike for seniors?
These are stationary bikes that let you ride or exercise with a laid-back workout position thus reducing back pains as they ensure proper workout.
2. Where can I get a recumbent bike for seniors?
You could walk right into an exercise bike store and choose the best recumbent bike for seniors. But if you have your preferred recumbent bike for seniors, you could buy the same via a reputable and trusted eCommerce website. Sourcing for the best recumbent bike has always been easy since the emergence of reputable and highly trusted online vendors. Just place an order and have the package delivered right to your doorstep.
3. What are some of the benefits of using a recumbent bike for seniors?
These recumbent bikes offer senior people the chance to have a reclined cycling exercise. This exercise position not only prevents back and joint pains but also guarantees support and stability during a workout. Besides, these bikes have handlebars and textured pedals with foot straps to make you as safe as possible when working out!
You already know a few features to include in your list when going shopping for the best recumbent bike for seniors. Also, you already know that these bikes work to give you the best physical shape that you’ll need to go about your daily routine. As such, it is a prudent idea to invest in these kinds of bike.
After going through tons of recumbent bikes for seniors, we have brought to you some of the best bikes in the 2019 market. From our list, you could choose the clear winner, which is Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike since it features movable handles to give you total body workout.
Besides, it has other additional features that set it apart from the rest of the machines in our list. For more information, you could consider the review above.