Many vehicle owners keep putting off installing a garage door opener, regarding it as an expense they can do without. If you’re one such individual, then wait till you’re compelled to dash out of the car to open the garage door while it’s pouring or the searing sun rays beat down on you. Now, imagine yourself watching the garage door opening automatically without your having to step out of the car.
Once you compare the two scenarios, you’ll realize the need to opt for a best garage door opener.
When it comes to choosing the best garage door opener for your office or home, there are some key features to look for. For a start, you need to select the operating system or mechanism that’d best serve your requirements. Then you’d have to choose the motor type (three-quarters, half or one-third horsepower).
Other important factors you have to consider while deciding on your best garage door opener include speed and powering option.
- 1 Choosing A Drive System for Your Garage Door Opener
- 2 Basic Features to Look for in Best Garage Door Openers
- 3 Best Garage Door Opener Reviews 2020
- 3.1 1. Chamberlain WD832KEV Garage Door Opener
- 3.2 2. Genie ChainMax 1000 Garage Door Opener
- 3.3 3. Direct Drive 1042V004 Garage Door Opener
- 3.4 4. Chamberlain B970 Belt-Drive
- 3.5 5. Chamberlain Group B550 Door Opener
- 3.6 6. ATOMS AT-1622BK by Skylink 1/2HPF Garage Door Opener
- 3.7 7. Chamberlain B730/WD962 Garage Door Opener Ultra-Quiet Belt Drive
- 3.8 8. Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
- 3.9 9. Chamberlain Group C410 Durable Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
- 3.10 10. Chamberlain Group RJO20 Direct Drive Wall Mounted Space Saving Garage Door Opener
- 4 Conclusion
Choosing A Drive System for Your Garage Door Opener
You’ll come across three distinct kinds of drive systems while you make a shortlist of the best garage door openers. These are chain drive, screw drive, and belt drive. A belt drive mechanism tends to be the quietest and easily operable, and therefore the most expensive amongst the lot.
Screw and chain drives cost much less but tend to be noisier.
As the terminology suggests, chain drives make use of a metallic chain for moving the trolley that closes and opens the door. The chain which drags the trolley runs over a rail, and you can hear the clanking sound when the drive operates. The chain drive system will remain functional for years on end provided you take good care of it.
A big advantage of having a chain drive for your garage door opener is that you can operate it manually. In other words, you can open or close the door in the event of a power cut or outage. Chain drives are very much affordable, but the tradeoff is that they’re noisy.
The screw drive system moves over an extended threaded rod that leads to the opening or closure of the door. Screw-drive mechanisms have minimal components, so maintaining them is not an issue. A screw-drive garage door opener is not as noisy as a chain drive but noisier than belt drive systems.
Also, the fact that a screw-drive system has very few moving components makes it less vulnerable to breaking. To prevent abrasion of the screw head, you should lubricate the system at least twice in a year. Screw drive systems are best suited for garages with small doors as these put less strain on the threaded rod.
Belt drive garage door openers operate smoothly and quietly as these come with a rubberized belt for driving the trolley. Commercial rubber reinforced with steel, Kevlar polymer, and fiberglass is extensively used for making the belt drive. If your garage juxtaposes your residence or is attached to the home, then the belt drive is your best option.
However, keep in mind that a belt drive garage door opener can be quite expensive.
Basic Features to Look for in Best Garage Door Openers
The best garage door openers have not evolved much, technically speaking, and even the latest versions come with minimal bells and whistles. That being said, the state-of-the-art models have some smart features which go a long way in making the functioning mechanism automatic.
1. Alternative power backup
The various types of garage door openers available in the market operate on electric power. So, regardless of whether you choose a belt drive or chain drive garage door opener, it’ll not function in the event of a power failure. So, you should go for the best garage door opener system that comes outfitted with a battery.
2. Setup for automatic closure
Sometimes you might be so preoccupied with a particular task that you may not remember to shut the garage door. Anyway, such forgetfulness is quite normal, and there’s nothing to worry about it. You’ll find many best garage door opener models that allow you to set in place a mechanism whereby the door closes on its own after a stipulated period.
3. Horsepower rating
The motor that drives the garage door opener has an HP or horsepower rating. The higher the HP rating of the motor, the greater will be its efficiency in the opening and shutting the door swiftly. You’ll come across motors with three different horsepower ratings-1/2 HP, ¾ HP, and 1/3 HP.
1 HP is equivalent to 746 watts of electric power so that ½ HP would be equal to 373 watts, and 1/3 HP is equal to 248.66 watts, and so on. If the best garage door opener has to lift or lower a heavy door or two doors (one on each side), then choose a 1 or ½ HP motor.
4. Control panel
Once you order a garage door opener, you’ll receive a shipment which will include a panel with buttons embedded in it. The panel will come with inserts that will let you mount the same on the garage wall. A remote control will also be provided that will enable you to operate the buttons from your vehicle.
The best garage door openers usually include a keypad for installing outside the door. You’ll simply need to select a code comprising a series of digits, and key in the code using the remote for operating the garage door opener.
5. Smartphone app control
With digital technology making fast inroads into every commercial or industrial sector, there’s hardly any product left that does not incorporate digitization. And surely, garage door openers are no exception. If you wish to keep tabs on your garage door while you’re in the office or out of town, you can buy a Wi-Fi enabled product.
You can download an app (usually offered by the vendor) on your smartphone and control the garage door opener from anywhere. In case, you’ve installed a home automation system in your residence; you can integrate the garage door opener with it.
Majority of the products nowadays come with LED lights which illuminate the area around your garage, enabling you to see clearly in pitch darkness.
Best Garage Door Opener Reviews 2020
If you’re looking for a best garage door opener outfitted with a range of practical features, then don’t look beyond the Chamberlain WD832KEV. For a start, the WD832KEV garage door opener from Chamberlain excels in the basic function-opening and shutting the door smoothly and quickly. The door opener exploits an ultra-quiet, steel-reinforced belt drive 1/2HP motor ensuring almost silent operation.
The signature ‘Motor Vibration Isolation System’ does away with motor vibration which also contributes towards noise elimination. You can monitor your garage door from anyplace, using your smartphone, thanks to integration with ‘MyQ technology.’ And in case you forget to close the door shut, there’s a timer that comes in perfectly handy for the job.
- Proprietary ‘motor vibration isolation system’ together with robust and ultra-quiet belt-drive motor facilitates smooth and noiseless operation
- MyQ Technology lets you operate the garage door, switch on garage lights from your smartphone via the MyQ technology
- You can set up the timer (Timer-to-Close) to automatically close the door after intervals of 10, 5 and 1 minutes
- Wireless keypad lets you set your preferred four-digit code for controlling the door minus the remote
- The motion detector control panel can be programmed to access keypad and remote
- The ‘protector system’ prevents the door from closing whenever the latter makes contact with an object or individual
- Can be operated manually in the event of a power failure
- Not suitable for use with doors having a height of more than 7.’
- The ½ HP motor might not be efficient in lifting heavy doors
The Genie ChainMax 1000 Garage Door Opener, despite banking on conventional chain-drive operation method, performs beyond your expectations, and quietly. This garage door opener sits and moves on a C-channel rail that facilitates installation of flush-mounting equipment. The C-channel rail layout makes for smooth operation as well as keeps away debris and dust.
Using the ChainMax 1000 is also very safe, thanks to the inclusion of the T-Beam mechanism. The T-Beam system releases a LED light beam which on interference by an object or person fully opens the door in case it is closing. The Intellicode rolling code technique ensures that the door remains firmly shut, thereby preventing unauthorized access.
The rolling code technology automatically alters your access code if you key in the wrong code repeatedly. The dual-lamp lighting console allows you to install two 100-watt lamps that illuminate the garage’s backside. The Genie ChainMax 1000 comes with a host of accessories that makes it easy for you to get the most out of your garage door opener.
- The conventional chain-drive system performs effectively making minimal noise
- The C-chain rail design calls for minimal maintenance
- The 140-volt chain drive motor can be easily installed and runs smoothly
- Quick and smooth installation with SmartSet programming and door opener can be monitored simply by pushing a button
- Not at all suitable for old and heavy garage doors and doors with a height of over 7 feet
- Many users have had problems with setting up the Genie ChainMax 1000
The Direct Drive 1042V004 is one of the best garage door openers that you can go for. Unlike the traditional door openers that exploit screw, belt or chain drives, this garage door opener uses a direct drive motor. The motor comes with a solitary moving part for sliding quietly on the chain which sits on a rail made of industrial-grade steel.
This garage door model is what you need if your bedroom or drawing room is just above the garage, as it operates almost silently. The delicate start and stop technology promote smooth and noiseless functioning. Power utilization is also optimal owing to the positioning of the motor over the door rather than at the back.
And like most other topnotch garage door opener brands, the Direct Drive transmits an imperceptible light beam for reversing the door’s closure when interrupted. The wall-mounting control panel is also capable of detecting even the most surreptitious movement or motion and keeps the door from closing if it detects a barrier.
- The vibration-free direct drive motor
- Fully secure and customizable rolling code
- Works best with doors having a height of 7’ or 8.’
- Every Direct Drive garage door opener you order comes with a lifetime warranty
- Comes with 2-button transmitters (set of two) and an interior wall mount panel
- HomeLink companionable
- The metallic contacts are prone to getting charring on extensive use
- The opener buttons could have been bigger
- The buttons need to be pressed quite hard for activating them
Chamberlain has become synonymous with high-quality garage door openers, and the B970 model perfectly epitomizes the same. The B970 Belt-Drive, Ultra-Quiet, Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener is chock-a-block with features that let you use the device optimally. The B970 lets you open and close the garage door almost effortlessly from the interior of your vehicle when it’s pouring.
The MyQ app allows you to monitor the door opener from your smartphone from anywhere in the world. Battery support means you can use the door opener in the event of an outage. Steel-reinforced belt drive system makes sure there is hardly any noise when the door opens or shuts.
The 1-1/4 HP motor makes the garage door opener lift remarkably heavy doors.
- Your garage door is fully secure from unauthorized access, thanks to compatibility with your ISP for encryption
- Extended battery backup when there is no electric power
- Fully functional wireless keypad, control panel, and triband technology for trouble-free performance and minimal interference
- Get alerts in real-time, and monitor the device via MyQ app and embedded Wi-Fi
- The belt drive has been constructed from premium grade materials for lasting performance
- Remote makes the most of triband technology for functioning from a maximum distance of 1,500 feet (from the door to the user)
- Comes with an extension kit for 7’ doors
- Designed for accepting two non-halogen (100-watt bulbs) or 26-watt CFL lamps
- Despite integration with IFTTT, you’ll need to pay a subscription fee which many users found preposterous
- Many customers have found the routers to be incompatible with a 20/40MHz dual frequency bandwidth
- Again, many customers faced issues with installing the device as the directions were not clear
Another performance-oriented garage door opener from the house of Chamberlain, the B550 is amongst the quietest belt-drive models you can choose. The steel-reinforced belt drive coupled with state-of-the-art technology implies that you’ve full access to your garage from anywhere and at any time of the day or night. Chamberlain’s pioneering MED Lift Power System makes the ½ HP motor capable of dealing with heavy steel or wooden doors.
The proprietary MyQ app together with inbuilt Wi-Fi allows you to check on your garage door from anyplace. At the same time, you receive alerts in real-time, thereby allowing you to take vital decisions. Equipped with a host of security features, including Posi-lock, and security+2.0 code encryption, the B503 has been engineered for performance.
The innovative design of this best garage door opener lets you install two 26W CFL or 100W non-halogen lamps for nighttime illumination. If you have a 7’ garage door, then the B503 is your best bet.
- Hardy construction with steel-armored belt drive: Ideal for attached or juxtaposed garages with 7’ doors
- Monitor a maximum of 3 door openers with the remote control
- ½ HP motor takes advantage of MED lift power technique for deploying the greatest lifting force
- Unique Triband technology lets you use the remote from a distance of up to 1,500’: effortless exit and entry
- Posi-lock feature secures the unit from thieves and burglars
- Automatic snap-lock rail, pre-programmed remote, and online footages make installation a breeze
- Exclusive security +2.0 near endless encryption code configurations for failsafe protection from hacking
- Many users have found that subscribing to IFTTT for accessing Alexa support to be uncalled for
- The snap-lock rail tends flexing at the edges often
- The trolley could have been lubricated instead of having plastic sliders
The ATOMS AT-1622BK from Skylink features a robust 1/2HP DC motor, enabling the unit to function efficiently with minimal fuss. The belt-drive reinforced with steel operates smoothly for the long term while the sectioned rail minimizes abrasion of moving parts and motor. IFTTT and Skylink net companionability lets you monitor the unit from a smartphone or any other smart device.
You receive an intuitive wireless keypad, two single-button remotes, and a wall-mount panel for taking optimum advantage of the ATOMS AT-1622BK. The inbuilt LED light together with battery support ensures that you’ll not be stranded during a power failure. An embedded power-saving LED light keeps the garage area fully illuminated at night.
In case your vehicle has an in-car remote, it can double up as a control panel for monitoring the door opener. Every time you use the unit’s remote, you receive a fresh rolling code technology-enabled encrypted code for preventing interference from other remotes used by your neighbors.
- Heavy-duty DC motor for hassle-free and quiet operation
- Vibration is reduced and wear and tear minimized due to start and stop functionality
- 12W energy-efficient LED light makes the garage door visible at night
- Programming the unit becomes a breeze, thanks to the DIY displays on the keypad, walled panel, and remote
- Online videos and customer support facilitate setting up the unit
- Automatic timer locks the door in case you forget to
- The instructions for installing the unit are not clear-cut and specific
- Some customers reported that the motor unit did not recognize the keypad
If you’re looking for a good reason to buy the Chamberlain B730/WD962 garage door opener, then you’ll find many. This garage door opener unit by Chamberlain boasts of a slew of functional features, including but not limited to MyQ technology, battery backup, and automatic timer. The unit performs effectively without making any noise due to the 3/4HP DC belt drive motor.
A built-in battery enables you to use all the features of the WD962KEV during an outage. You’ll be able to close/open the garage at least 20 times if there’s no electric power for a full day. Chamberlain’s patented MyQ technology makes it easy for you to control the unit from anywhere, through your smartphone. Integrating the B730 with an ‘internet gateway’ facilitates controlling the same from an Android smartphone or iPhone as well as receiving notifications in real-time.
The control panel which has motion-detecting sensors can be programmed to monitor the MyQ, keypad, and remotes.
- Heavyweight ¾ HP DC drive motor for smooth and noiseless performance
- Timer-to-close can shut garage door mechanically in programmed intervals of 10, 5, and 1 minute
- Built-in battery lets you use the unit normally when there’s a power cut
- The motion-detecting control panel allows for integrated control of remote, keypad, MyQ app, and lights
- Safety sensors release a light beam which when interfered reverses door closure
- Will only work with 7’ doors (for taller doors you’ll need extension kits)
- You might need professional help if you’re installing the unit (for the first time) instead of replacing an old one
The Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener is loaded with a host of versatile features that makes the unit extremely user-friendly. This garage door opener from Craftsman has been innovatively designed and produced, making it powerful enough to lift and lower 7’ garage doors of residences. On the other hand, installing and maintaining the unit is quite simple.
You can bet that this ½ HP Craftsman chain drive door opener will stay in service for years as the manufacturer has crafted it paying meticulous attention to handiness, security, and safety. You can make good use of proprietary coding technology for securing your garage from burglars and housebreakers. Tri-frequency radio system enhances access to garage from a good distance by doing away with interruptions from nearby persons or objects.
- The intelligent rail system makes for easy and quick set up
- Keyless and wireless keypad for a smooth entry or exit: you need to key in a programmable 4-digit PIN thereby eliminating the need to use a remote or key
- Uncomplicated UI can be programmed to modify the force needed for opening/closing the door when temperature varies
- Safety sensors automatically open the door (while it is lowering) when faced with an obstacle
- May not be suitable for syncing with heavier and old garage doors
The majority of Chamberlain garage door openers use belt drive mechanism, unlike the C410 which runs on a chain drive. However, you’d be wrong to assume that this chain drive garage door opener could get noisy during operation. Compared to other brands running on chain drive systems, the Chamberlain C410 lowers and raises garage doors with effortless ease and is less noisy as well.
Chamberlain’s signatory MED Lift Power System enables the unit to perform beyond your expectations. The chain drive has been crafted out of industrial-grade steel that makes the unit extraordinarily durable and lets it stay functional for many years. Dual remote controls permit monitoring of 3 door openers simultaneously, and the triband technology increases the functioning range of remote up to a distance of 1,500 feet.
- The performance-drive chain drive system
- Hardy construction: long-lasting performance
- MED lift power system
- Extended remote control range
- Easy to install
- Built-in foolproof safety and security features
- Upgradable to MyQ for controlling through a smartphone
- Brackets included in the system are prone to bending easily
- You always have to reach the control panel for switching off the light
If you want a garage door opener that occupies minimum space, delivers on the performance front, and also looks sleek, don’t look further than the Chamberlain RJO20 Direct Drive. This garage door opener from the Chamberlain Group has a direct drive motor which means minimal vibrations, and hence the noise. Not only can you install the unit conveniently but also operate it without facing any issues.
This unit is stacked with Chamberlain’s latest security firmware which lets you receive alerts and notifications in real-time and also lets you control the same, regardless of your location.
- Compact and sleek wall mount design: occupies minimal space and also appears eye-catching
- Exclusive wall mounting technique nearly eliminates shuddering: quiet operation
- MyQ software gives you full control over the unit
- Door lock for automatically closing and locking the garage door
- Safety sensors
- Remote light
- Triband, 3-button remote
- Almost all customers feel that Chamberlain should include a keypad and an extra remote in the package, given the steep price of RJO20
So, there you are-we’ve reviewed the ten best garage door openers so that you don’t have to sift through tons of models out there to pick the one you need. 6 out of the ten products are from Chamberlain Group-the leader in the garage door opener industry. If you’re looking for a branded product that enjoys a high level of goodwill, then you can go for any of the Chamberlain models. On the other hand, if quality and performance matter to you, then you can choose Genie, Direct Drive or ATOMS. If budget is a concern, then the Craftsman which is priced under $160, should be your first choice.